3. Saying Goodbye

I opened my eyes and looked at my alarm clock. Nine a.m. Crap, I had to be at the church in an hour. I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom and turned on the shower. Then realised something, my head was fine. I had trouble remembering last night, but I do know I drank more than some people would drink in a week. By all rights I should be in agony now. But I wasn't. I looked at myself in the mirror. My eyes looked bright and clear, you wouldn't know I had spent god knows how long drinking. Wait, what was that? I leaned in closer to the mirror. There was something red on my lips, I licked them. It was metallic tasting, and I realised what it was, blood. I must have bit my tongue or cheek or something, but I couldn't find where, weird. Shrugging I jumped into the shower. By half nine I was showered, dressed and in the car. I made it the church by ten to nine and snuck in the back way. I didn't want to be around lots of people telling me how wonderful my parents were, and how missed they would be. I already knew how amazing they had been, and I knew how much I would miss them. I ran into Mrs Lockwood, or as I found out, Mayor Lockwood. I hadn't known Tyler's dad was dead. There really were a lot of accidents in this town. She pulled me into a big hug. "It's so good to see you Jenni; I just wish it were under better circumstances. I was wondering if I could meet with you after the service, there's some things we need to discuss about the Town Council."

 told her I would find her later on and made my way to the first pew. I sat down and stared at the two coffins lying side by side. Slowly the church began to fill up. I was touched by how many people showed up to pay their respects, although I knew it was more for my father than my mother. Not that the people didn't like her, everybody that met her did. It's just my dad was directly from a founding family. In this town that was almost like royalty. I guess that was me now. The mass started and the priest talked for what seemed like forever but I didn't hear a word he said. I couldn't tear my eyes from the coffins. When the priest was finished Mayor Lockwood got up, she said some lovely things about my parents, but then she asked if I wanted to come up and say something. I stood up and made my way to the podium, but the closer I got the harder I found it to breathe. At the last moment I ran from the church. Outside I saw Caroline and Elena come out the door looking for me, but I didn't want to talk to them just now, so I hid behind a tree. I know, real mature. I waited for them to go back inside, and then sat down. I sat there not moving until I felt like someone was watching me. My eyes quickly scanned the area and I saw him. I didn't know who he was but there was a man standing outside the Grill staring at me. I pushed myself up and made my way over to him. He smiled at me,

"Hello sweetheart, happy birthday!" He then turned and walked into the grill. I followed him in. For the first time that I could remember, the place was empty; everyone was at my parent's funeral. Well, everyone except me, this guy and the barman. He was sitting at the bar, two whiskeys sitting in front of him. I sat on the stool beside him and he pushed one of the glasses in front of me. I didn't touch it, instead I turned to him, "I'm sorry, do I know you?"

"Not really sweetheart, I guess you were right last night. You don't remember meeting me."

I frowned at him, "When did I meet you last night? I was out with my friends, and then I..."

But that was just it. I couldn't remember anything past being at the lake. I tried to remember when I left my friends, if I left them or how I got home, but I couldn't. But there was something familiar about this man. His voice broke my train of thought.

"I met you last night; you were on your way home through the woods," He explained, "Although you had decided that lying on the ground was more comfortable than making it home. We talked for a while, then I helped you home where you ordered me to make you coffee."

I could feel my face flush, "I am so sorry."

He brushed off my apology, "Not at all. It's a hard day, I understand that. I take it the funeral is still on?" he inquired.

"Yes, it's only half over, they'll be heading to the cemetery now shortly. I just couldn't face that bit. I'm going to walk home, it'll take a while but I need to clear my head. Decide what my next step is and all that." A part of me was wondering why it was so easy to talk to this stranger when I found it hard to talk to people I had known for all my life. I got up to leave but he stopped me.

"Won't everybody be going back to your house after the funeral love?"

He knew by the way that I dropped back into the seat and the way that my face fell that I had forgotten that part. "I didn't... I mean of course..." taking a deep breath I stood up and continued, "Of course, I had forgotten but as long as they don't expect anything to eat or drink it will be fine."

He looked thoughtful as I walked away.

"I might visit at some stage with a few of my mates if that is ok?" he called after me, without turning back to him I answered, "Blonde guy, you and your friends are always welcome in my home." I don't know what made me say that, something just told me I could trust him.

It took me nearly an hour to get home, and just as I got there, cars were starting to pull up the driveway. I stood on the porch to welcome them. Mayor Lockwood was the first to reach me, Tyler by her side. Mayor Lockwood hugged me, "Jennifer my dear, are you alright?"

"Yes Mayor," I pulled myself out of her embrace, "I just had to get out, get some air.  Please go on in, you too Tyler."

He gave me a lopsided grin as he and his mother entered my dad's house. I heard Mayor Lockwood shout out to me, "Really Jennifer, you didn't have to go to this much trouble."

What was she talking about? I followed them into the foyer and stopped short. What the hell? There was a line of servers waiting, holding trays of sandwiches and other nibble type foods. I continued on in to the main sitting room. There was a tea/coffee station set up in one corner and next to that was a make shift bar, with a server standing between. Looking around I also noticed that the house had been cleaned, not that it had been dirty, it just looked... cleaner. Before I had a chance to tell the Mayor that I hadn't done this, people started pouring into the house.

I was being pulled in every direction, being hugged, my hand being shaken. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Tyler talking to Caroline and Elena, then pointing at the servers. They did not look happy. I broke away from Pastor Young who was telling me how much I looked like my mother. I made it to the bar without being stopped. "Whiskey please." As she poured my drink I put my hand on her arm. "Who hired you? I didn't..."

With a tight smile she handed me the glass. "Blonde guy sends his regards."