Parker & the Big Comfy Couch

(Jamie: 16-years old)

"So it's been a while since we saw each other," Jane, my therapist, said.

"Well to be honest I was hoping last time would've officially been the last time," I said, with a long sigh.

I liked to lay down when at therapy, the old cliche they portrayed in movies. I liked to stare at the ceiling, it was easier for me to verbalize my thoughts without having to directly stare at someone.

"So let's talk about what brought you back here today."

Last time we'd met had been over three years ago, and it'd been parenting-related. Emily claimed that I wasn't transitioning into raising a teenage daughter well. And unfortunately my therapist agreed, which led to several sessions of unboxing those issues.

"Nightmares."

"Can you elaborate on that?" Jane questioned.

"I'd rather not."

Jane was used to my aggressive behavior, my tendency to shut down when I didn't want to approach a subject.

"Then why are you here?"

She didn't take my bullshit lightly. And that's why she's my current therapist.

"Because my wife asked me to be."

And after nearly a month of arguing and me hardly sleeping, we came to the agreement that I would attend one session and see what Jane had to say.

And in return Emily would drive Jamie two hours away to her track meet. As well as take carpool duty for the next week.

"And why do you think she did that?"

My eyes shifted to the flickering candle on the bookshelf, and I began to study her collection of books on psychology ideologies.

"Parker?" Jane prompted.

"Because I have to believe that she loves me," I deadpanned. "And she probably wants me to sleep at night. Even though I can function on two hours per night. I'm no stranger to sleep deprivation."

My eyes flickered over to Jane who was studying me with a pensive expression.

"What's been your caffeine consumption this week?"

Skyrocket high. Emily would kill me if she knew.

I just shrugged, my eyes shifting back to the ceiling.

"Two cups of coffee per day?" Jane suggested. "Three?"

"Is this relevant?"

"Very much so."

I hated admitting my faults. Caffeine is something that I struggle with. I hate having to regulate myself, always wanting more. I hate he pounding headaches that come if I don't drink my allotted amount for the day, if I don't satisfy my fix.

Of all things to be addicted do caffeine is my poison.

I cleared my throat, letting out a long sigh. "Yesterday it was three cups of coffee, a Five Hour Energy, and a few caffeine pills. And half of a Red Bull, I didn't drink the entire thing."