Making Amends (Avengers x reader)

After Civil War References, mild language

"Goodnight, sweetheart," Tony waved from the door of your room, pulling the door shut as FRIDAY slowly dimmed the lights and into darkness. You closed your eyes and fell almost immediately into sleep, your eyes feeling oddly heavy and impossible to keep open. Not only did your eyes feel heavy, but your body felt as if it were sinking into the mattress, falling into a nothingness that encompassed you as you drifted into sleep. It was almost too easy.

~~~

"Steve, you gotta see this," Sam called out from the living room of the small compound, watching various news reports over multiple screens. Steve hurried to his side, and all Sam could do was watch him for the inevitable reaction.

"During the night, Tony Stark's only child, his daughter (Y/N), was apparently abducted from the Avengers compound located in upstate New York. There are no reports of signs of foul play, and it's unlikely that she left on her own volition, as all of her belongings are still in place."

"Have we heard from Tony?" Steve asked quietly, almost a whisper, his gaze fixated on the screen in front of him.

"Do we honestly expect to?"

"Stark has been contacted for comment, but we've had no response from him or his representatives. It would appear that he has shut himself into the compound with a team of government officials coming and going throughout the morning."

"The Accords," Sam groaned, "do you think they'll let him in on this? It's too personal."

"I should call him."

"Steve, come on. I think any of us, particularly you, are the last thing he wants to deal with right now. Put yourself in his shoes for just a minute and think about it. What would you do?"

Steve sighed and crossed his arms, reaching up to rub his chin as he thought. It was true, he was probably the last person that Tony would want to get involved in this. But what if he was the only person that Tony had? "If they tie his hands, I might just be the first person he'll be waiting for. (Y/N) is only fifteen, Sam. She's not going to get out of this on her own." Steve nodded in his own resolution and turned back towards his office, dropping into his chair with a loud sigh as he reached for the phone to make the call that he could very easily end up regretting. He sat still with his hand hovering just above the numbers, jumping slightly when Bucky approached and leaned against the door.

"I heard. What are you gonna do, Steve?"

"I can't just let this go and trust that the Accords are going to work like the government thinks they will. If they hold the Avengers back because of Tony, they'll never find her, or they'll be too late and find her dead. I can't let that happen, Buck."

"Okay. So, when do we start?"

Steve set the phone down and stood, finally deciding that maybe Sam was right; calling Tony might only open up more problems that would ultimately delay your rescue by slowing the team down. "We just did. Get everyone together in the conference room. We're going underground on this one, and I'm pretty sure that you're not gonna like it."

~~~

Tony stood at the large window in his office, wringing his hands and then forcing them deep into his pockets for a few minutes, again removing them to repeat the cycle with an occasional bite of his thumb nail in between. Managing his anxiety could be a struggle, even on a good day, given his mounting governmental responsibilities and the remaining guilt of how the events with his own team had played out against Steve and his. He wanted to call Steve for help; he really just wanted to call him and make amends, but he couldn't bring himself to do it yet. But now, suddenly with his own family in danger and the Accords tying his hands, he was running out of options.