Chapter Thirteen

"I've got a mission for the both of you." Axel's voice was soft but it sent shivers down Phil's spine. There was an underlying hardness to his tone, a venom that was easily detectable despite the thin smile on his lips.

Phil despised it.

Dan crossed his arms, glaring down at Axel with a look equal to one of ice. He already had his mask on, hiding his identity to the world, and Phil slid his own on as well. The restraint on his finger was heavy against his skin, a reminder that Phil was no longer as powerful as he could be. "To what do we owe you this pleasure, your majesty?" Dan asked sarcastically, even bowing a little for show.

Axel didn't seem fazed in the slightest. He was already used to the way Dan was and he threw his head back and laughed, tapping his black fingers on the desk rhythmically. Tap, tap, tap. The sound was burned into Phil's brain. "Ryan Nelson, aged 24. Former student at the academy. It's been recently found that he's been smuggling weapons and agents posed as students into the academy in an attempt to bring us down. I expect you two to put an end to it."

Phil widened his eyes, swallowing back bile that was raising in his throat. "You mean-?"

"Phil." Dan cut him off with a stern, steady look. He turned back to Axel with a grimace on his face and a nod. "We'll do our best."

They left the room and Phil imagined that they were in a horror movie, Axel's (imaginary) cackles echoing down the corridor like the perfect antagonist he was. Oh, Phil couldn't wait to bring him down.

Once they were out of sight and walking towards the looming gates that trapped students inside of the academy, Dan reached out and took his hand. "Only a little bit longer," he breathed. He chanced a smile over at Phil, squeezing his hand. It made Phil's nerves diminish slightly. "I don't want you to do anything on this mission okay? Just leave it to me. I don't think I could handle if you killed someone for such a disgusting cause."

"But Dan! Your power-!"

Another stern look, one that was soft around the edges. The gates began to open and Dan let go of his hand. "The only thing that matters is your safety." He kissed him on the lips quickly and before anyone could see. "I'll protect you. I'll always protect you."

Phil's stomach was churning with butterflies but he frowned anyways. He was anxious, worried that today would be the day where Dan's power overtook him, burning straight through his heart and burning him down. He shook his head to clear those thought. No, he told himself, Dan isn't going anywhere. He's going to survive and he's going to be okay.

He could only hope it was true.

There was rain falling from the sky, drenching their clothes and making Dan shiver. Phil worried for a moment that it would affect Dan's ability, but realized quickly that would be a silly assumption. The water had the opposite effect on Phil, of course, who only became stronger the more submerged in water he was. His skin was glowing and his body was thriving in the raindrops, a human being who was practically algae.

That settles it then, Phil is algae.

He chuckled at his own ridiculous thoughts, ignoring the strange stare from Dan as he walked beside him. "I'm algae," he explained quietly, holding up his arm so Dan could see the water absorbing into his skin.

Dan scoffed, shaking his head. He was smiling. "Why am I dating someone so weird?"

Phil didn't answer, didn't really have to because the answer was obvious: Dan fell for him. He also didn't have to answer because they reached their destination, a small two bedroom house with brick walls and tall windows.