05. surprise

Chapter Song- Byegones by Volcano Choir

I was in a state of complete shock as whatever had a hold of Octavia pulled her under the surface again, and again. 

"We have to do something!" I shouted at the other four teens who were just as shocked as I was. My heart pounded against my ribcage as Octavia let out a wail for help. 

I rushed to the side of the river, getting as close as I could without actually being in the water. "Tavia, hold on!" I screamed, my eyes frantically searching for something that could help save her.

The thing in the water lurched to the side, carrying Octavia further and further from us. I let out a grunt of frustration as I began following it down the bank.

"What the hell is that?" Monty shouted as the rest of them began following after me, all of us desperate to reach her.

"What are we gonna do?" Jasper questioned, his eyes as wide as saucers as he stumbled over his own feet. 

We came to a halt, all of us breathing rapidly as the unseen monster pulled back slightly. I hadn't seen Octavia's head above water in what felt like too long. 

My brother wore a determine look as he began pulling off his jacket. "Try not to get hit."

I felt my heart drop at the thought of my best friend and brother both being in there "Finn-"

"No, wait!" Clarke yelled, stopping Finn from jumping into the river. "If we can distract it, maybe it'll let her go." she said, kneeling beside a boulder, "Here help me."

I took that as a welcomed opportunity to prevent Finn from jumping into the river. Kneeling down beside her, I was joined by the three boys. 

"One three." Clarke instructed, all of us giving her small nods. "One...two...three!"

We all pushed as hard as we could, and our combined effort sent the large boulder tumbling into the river. 

Luckily, Clarke's theory was proven correct, and the monster released it's gripped on Octavia. I could see is silhouette under the water as it headed toward where we had just released the boulder. 

"Octavia, get to the shore! Now!" Jasper yelled, taking off toward Octavia.

I watched in horror as Jasper didn't hesitate before jumping into the water, grabbing a hold of a struggling Octavia. 

My heart was in my throat as the monster turned, realizing that there was no other prey, and made its way back to where they were.

"Jasper, hurry!" I screamed, rushing down to the shore. "It's coming back!"

Jasper sped up his pace, pulling the two of them to shore. The monster was seconds from reaching them when he managed to drag Octavia up onto a rock, putting both of them out of harm's way. 

I was by their side in a second, my relieved eyes falling on my best friend. I pulled Jasper into a tight hug, pressing a quick kiss to his cheek before moving to check on my best friend. 

A blissful smile spread across Jasper's face as his cheeks reddened slightly as he seemed to register all the events of the past few moments.

"Tavia, your leg." I breathed, my eyes locking on the huge gash on her upper thigh.

Clarke was silent as she dropped down next to me, ripping a strip from Jasper's shirt before fastening it around the top of Octavia's leg. 

Octavia winces slightly as Clarke tied the tourniquet, but aside from that wound, she seemed unscathed.