Chapter 10

Kat
January 1, 2005

*

Same day

*

As soon as I leave Ben's room, Vanessa jumps me. Without saying a word, she pulls me into the room where Ben laid me down the previous night.

"Hey..." She starts out cautiously. Her eyes wide, like she's afraid I'm going to explode or freak out.

I'm not sure how I feel about her barging in. It was horrible timing and incredibly awkward, but it's also nice that she cares so much. I can't be mad at her, but I don't want her to know that.

She continues without waiting for my response. "Sorry, you know I can overreact sometimes..."

"Sometimes?" I am unable to stop the involuntary snort that escapes.

"Okay, maybe a lot..." We both laugh.

It feels good to laugh after such a weird week.

"Listen, it was super awkward, but I get it. I'm not mad or anything. Although... I can't speak for Ben." I smirk as I think of all kinds of things we could be doing if she hadn't interrupted.

She sighs. "Speaking of Ben..." Her face turns serious. "You were pretty out of it last night..."

"'Ness..." How many times do I have to tell her?

"It's just... I thought... maybe... well... you know..." Her eyes go wide as she trails off. I can tell she's hoping I catch on, so she doesn't have to spell it out for me.

"Oh god, Ness. I didn't even think about that. I'm sorry." I try to comfort her, I know this can't be easy for her.

She gives a pathetic smile. I didn't think of this as a trigger for her.

"Trust me, Ness. He didn't take advantage of me." I try to reassure her. Ben did nothing wrong.

"Okay..." She doesn't seem entirely convinced. "I promise I will try to tone down the Mama Bear a bit, you know, if you want to keep seeing Ben."

"What are you talking about? I'm not seeing anyone." Even if I wanted to date him, I doubt he should be interested in more than just a night.

"Oh... I guess I just assumed... When you crawled into his bed last night." She raises her eyebrow in accusation.

"Oh god." I cover my face. "Why did I do that?"

Vanessa playfully shouts her response. "Cause you need some good sex in your life!"

"Vanessa! Shut up!" I hiss, hoping the guys are unable to hear through the walls.

"Oh come on, we both know your douche of an ex couldn't satisfy you." Somehow her voice grew louder. She is going to be the death of me.

"Oh my god! Vanessa Rosalind!" I cannot believe she is doing this. The guys can probably hear everything. I am going to have to kill her before I die of embarrassment.

She holds up her hands in surrender. "What? It's true!" Her eyes narrow and I know I am in trouble. "Are you really going to sit there being a prude when you were such a whore last night?"

"What!? I am not!" I pathetically try to defend myself.

"Not what? A prude or a whore?" A look of triumph flashing across her face.

"Either!" I find myself shouting to match her volume before I realize what I'm doing. "I'm not the one who is a whore, you skank!"

"Oh! Well, at least-" A soft knock at the door ends our dumb argument.