Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two

Jan turns to greet her but my gaze lingers for a second on Ryder; I see his hand wander to his collar and then he reaches forward for his glass of champagne, bringing it swiftly to his lips he drains the entire glass.

With Mari are Jennet, Tina, Fay and Jojo.

 “Did you enjoy your dinner?” asks Jennet, her voice is low and husky—deeper than is usual of a girl but very attractive.

“It was delicious, thank you.”

“Mother tells us she gave you a bit of a scare this morning.”

“Fay, stop it,” Tina elbows her sister, knocking her a little of balance.

There was nothing spiteful in Fay’s remark only amusement.

“That’s right she did, I freaked out and ran to wake up Deeta and then we both crept down stairs armed with a vase and both of us wearing nothing more than our nightshirts!”

“I wish I’d been there.”

Jennet chokes into her glass but Ryder continues to play with the corner of his napkin, not seeming to notice the sudden hushed silence.

“To sort out the misunderstanding,” he continues smoothly.

“You have very pretty hair.”

“Thank you, Jojo, you have nice hair too it’s just like—” I bite my tongue, I had been going to say just like Dec. “It’s very pretty—and so long!”

Jojo blushes and giggles bashfully.

“I saw Nova came to be introduced, Rye?” Mari’s eyes are a little strained.

“Not at all, they were already acquainted, it was more of a reunion.”

I feel warm fingers slide into my hand and look down surprised to see Jojo looking up at me with sympathetic eyes.

“Poor Deeta, did she make you cry?”

Behind her I see her sisters stiffen.

‘No—actually as I remember she said that I was charming,” I reply lightly.

Jojo looks very surprised.

“That’s odd—she’s not usually nice; she’s always making Tina and Fay cry, and she really wouldn’t like you both because you have such lovely hair,” she leans towards me conspiratorially. “She has to get hers done to look that way you see—bleached.”

“Jojo!” Mari’s hand comes down on the girls shoulder and I see a sudden hunted expression come into her eyes. “That is not a topic of general interest, Tina and Fay will take you back to our table for dessert and then it will be time for bed, now go on.”

Jojo's protestations are only half hearted and she quickly resigns herself to her fate.

“Good night Uncle Rye.”

Ryder leans forwards to except her embrace and Jojo stands on tip toe whispering something in his ear.

“I’ll see what I can do, mush,” he laughs and Jojo plants a kiss on his cheek before hurrying from the table.

“I don’t know what to do with her sometimes—the things that she comes out with!” sighs Mari. “I’d better get her home because she’s obviously in a confiding mood tonight, goodness only knows what she’ll say next.”

“She’s without guile,” answers Ryder a half smile on his lips. “And before I forget I told her I’d do my best to get her off the hook.”