Chapter 13

She was gone some time before she found a decent enough meal.

A large area surrounding the cave was completely deserted as far as animals were concerned. She wasn't sure if it was because the Dragon had eaten them all or if they instinctively avoided it.

It meant that it was nearly dark by the time she climbed up the rock face and re-entered the cave.

She set up camp just within the cave entrance, and made a quick fire to roast the rabbit, allowing the wind to carry the smoke out across the trees rather than into the cave.

When she was full she stamped on the fire to make it go out and hefted the dead deer onto her shoulders once more and made her way slowly through the cave. She didn't use a torch this time, knowing that the crystals would light her way when it became dark enough.

The dragon was lying in exactly the same position as it had been when she had left, except this time its head was up and it was regarding her with enormous scarlet eyes.

Marcie stopped moving and looked back, a little fear began creeping back, her mouth suddenly dry.

However the dragon just yawned, stretching its jaws wide and lifted itself off the ground to stretch its body like a cat, the movement causing the earth to tremble slightly. Then it settled itself down again, eyes closed.

Marcie stepped closer and, when she was a couple of feet in front of the dragon she dropped the deer onto the ground like an offering and took a couple of steps back and to the side until her back was against the wall.

It was only now that she realised what a small meal the deer made for the Dragon, something that would have fed her for weeks was barely a mouthful for this beast, and yet she had nothing else to give.

She sat down and rummaged around into pack until she found her wet stone, she then took her hunting knife from its sheath on her waist and set about sharpening it, all the while trying not to look at the deer, she knew how embarrassing it was to have people watch you eat.

The Dragon did not move for some time, eventually it opened one eye and surveyed the offering, then it inched its head forward and nudged the deer with its snout sniffing it.

Seeming to find the deer satisfactory the dragon pinned it with one long nail of its fore leg and pulled and nipped at the carcass with its front teeth. Gulping it down in small bites, bones and all, until only the head remained.

Marcie smiled, and felt a warmth creep into her heart.

The Dragon then turned its gaze in her direction and dipped its head, as if it was saying thank you.

Marcie smiled again, "You are welcome" she said

The Dragon blinked and then leaned towards her, its shadow falling over her.

She scrambled to her feet dropping the stone and knife, her breath caught and her heart hammered, was this it? Was this the moment when the dragon decided it had had enough of her and it was time to end her life?

But the dragon stopped just before her and very gently touched the tip of its snout to her forehead.

A shock ran through her whole body from the point the dragon touched to the tips of her fingers and toes, turning her whole body numb.

She sank to the floor, her vision going dim, her head felt incredible heavy. With the last of her strength she lifted her eyes to look at the Dragon, who was regarding her with its deep unfathomable eyes, but there was something akin to kindness in its gaze, it dipped down and touched her forehead again and the world descended into darkness.