Chapter 16: Business and Pleasure

Tim Butcher frantically tries to keep up with his customers drink orders. Currently the sole bartender on this especially busy night. He begins to wonder if Jason will ever show up for his shift. Jason had called in earlier and explained to Tim he would be a tad bit late, that he had an emergency to deal with. In actuality, Jason Wilkes is desperately searching the town for his love interest, Sheila Ducane.

Shelly Swayne and Mona Tilner were already half past drunk when Harrison had introduced himself and offered to pay their tab. Easing his way into their conversation, Harrison charmed the two young woman, steadily buying them shot after shot. He figures a few more stiff drinks and they'll be ready for...anything.

As he did the previous night, Harrison sits with his back to the bar and avoids making prolonged eye contact with the bartender. His reasoning for this is simple. If, by some chance, police happen to question Tim he wouldn't have much to tell. Harrison isn't too concerned about that though, Tim is much too busy to pay any attention to 'the man flirting with two hot women.'

Shelly and Mona are being very hands on with each other and Harrison. While one keeps rubbing his thigh, the other uses him as a crutch for balance. He's loving the attention and the touching.

He smiles to them, thinking, if they only knew how their night will end.

Brandy Page enters the tavern and approaches the bar. Tim recognizes her right away.

"Detective..."

This catches Harrison's attention and he immediately glances to see Brandy standing just a few feet away. He quickly spins the barstool, placing his back to Brandy.

"...what can I get for you? The usual?" Tim knows Brandy all too well.

Surprisingly, Brandy declines, "No, thanks. I'm looking for Jason. Is he around?"

"Yeah,...he's around two hours late for his shift. He called in, said he had something to take care of and asked me to cover for him." Tim sounds annoyed. At this point in time, just the name 'Jason' eats away at his nerves.

"Did he say when he'd be in?"

"No, but if he doesn't show up soon, I don't think he'll be in at all."

Brandy hopes, "Well, maybe you can help me."

"Sure. I can try."

Shelly and Mona are babbling away to Harrison, but his ears are fixated onto the conversation happening behind him. He nods and smiles at the two clueless dimwits. Occasionally he tosses out an, 'Uh huh', or, 'Yeah'. They're oblivious to his lack of interest.

Brandy gets straight to the point, "Do you know Sheila Ducane?"

"Yeah. She's in here all the time."

Harrison knows this is regarding Sheila's disappearance and he is enjoying the thrill of sitting so close to his pursuer.

Brandy continues to run through the typical questions, "You ever see her come in with anyone or leave with anyone?"

"No, she pretty much keeps to herself. I mean, guys try to talk to her but she plays hard to get."

"What about Jason, has he ever tried to talk to her?"

Tim chuckles, "Yeah, he tries. Sheila won't give him the time of day."

Suddenly the bar phone begins to ring. Tim turns to get it, "Be right back."

Brandy finally notices who she happens to be sitting next to, "Mr. Kringe? How are you?"

Harrison pretends to be surprised to see her as if he hadn't noticed her enter the bar, "Detective Page? It's good to see you." He cracks a friendly smile. "Are you here on business or pleasure?"