Chapter Eighteen- Midnight light

I laugh at her, "But Kat it's like 11 at night." I look over to see the new alarm clock gleaming a proud 11:13 on the screen.

She threw her arms up into the air and yelled, "And I don't give a shit!" I smiled at my best friend as she continued her finals breakdown. She walked in a circle around my room a few times before freezing, just looking out the window. The window was blowing in a hot summers night breeze into her face, I watched her carefully. She really had grown up from the girl I used to know, she was even more bold, daring and beautiful as before. But she didn't move as fast as she usually does, she seemed frozen in time just staring out into the dark night. My smile faded as I saw her falter, for the first time I saw in her eyes that something isn't right. I felt freeze watching her. I don't know how I missed it... something isn't right.

Kat seemed to wake up from where ever she had gone, and meet my eyes that hadn't left her. She tried a smile at me knowing that she was caught in the act. Suddenly her eyes light up from where they were.

"I know what we can do!" She ran over to my bed and tossed my pillows and blankets onto me, "Do you know where your brother's keys are?"

Removing the blankets from my head I looked carefully at her, "Yes why..."

She was slowly regaining the light in her eyes, "We're going to the beach!" At those words, my stomach dropped.

Next thing I knew was that I had an arm full of blankets and pillows were pulled quietly down my stairs by my crazy best friend. I tried to protest to Kat many times only to get a bright blue pillow to the face courtesy of Kat. We snuck through the kitchen where I grabbed Zack's keys off the hook, and I left a note to my mom that I would be 'spending the night at Kats instead'. She laughed at my cliché excuse to my mom but what can I say I don't need my mom to get mad at me yet again.

We load all the blankets into the middle us of and jump into the front seat, and right as Kat is about to start the truck I shove my hand over hers to stop her. She jumps and looks at me in fright, "Dawn you nearly scared me have to death!" She whisper yells.

I look at her with big eyes, "This truck is the loudest thing this earth has ever seen! They'll wake up as soon as they hear it..." I watch as this slowly sinks in for Kat and how she immediately starts to figure out a plan around it.

"Do you think we can push it like in the movies? Like just around the block or something?" I suggest she looks at me like a proud parent.

"YES that's genius D."

I hop out of the truck and walk down the road as Kat puts the truck into neutral and backs it out of our driveway. Once the truck is fairly lined up on the road I try to push it and it barely moves at all. Kat hops out of the front seat and whispers, "Once we get it moving it should be easier to push!" She starts to help push with her door open she can get back in and steer.

After a minute or two we finally get the truck moving, and soon we make it to the end of my street. Both of us looking around to check if anyone is watching we nod at each other and get back into the truck.

Kat smiles at me and says, "Beach here we come!"