Chapter 35: Family Matters

Natalie's POV

Carter and I had the same facial expressions, and I just knew we were thinking the right thing.

"We want him to go through chemotherapy,"I stated. Jameson looked at Carter, then back to me.

"I'm sorry, but I'm afraid that's not your choice,"he frowned,"You're not his legal guardian. His mother's been notified...She's on her way."

"Are you serious?"I growled,"That witch did this to him! She's the reason he has lung cancer!"

"Nat,"Carter warned,"Calm down."

"No! This is absolute bullsh!t,"I ranted, and poked Jameson's chest. I'm not sure what happened next, but I was thrown over a shoulder, and carried out of the room. "Carter James Grayson, put me down this instant,"I ordered, and pounded on his back. 

"Not until you calm yourself,"He sighed, and walked into room 304.  "Looks like someone already has visitors,"He chuckled. 

"Who's here? What's happening? I can't see anything remember, I'm behind you,"I huffed, and hit his back again.

"Hit me one more time, and I will not hesitate to drop you,"He said, with a hint of annoyance in his voice. Knowing he'd do it I stopped hitting his back, and he put me down. I thought about making a run for it, but Carter shot me a glare and I decided against it.

"How you doin' Luce?"Carter asked, and I whirled around. Lucy was sitting in bed talking to her friends. She looked a little worn out.

"Oh my baby,"I exclaimed, and ran over to her bedside. I gently pulled her into a hug, and kissed her head.

"Hi mom," She chuckled hoarsely,"And I've been better dad."

"You're a trooper,"Carter smirked, and looked at her friends,"Who told you guys she was here?" 

"My mom works in the ICU," Hally replied. Carter nodded, and walked over to the door.

"Well Lucy, we'll let you and your friends gossip," He yawned,"Lets go check on Kayden, Nat." I stood up, and walked with Carter to the next room.

Carter made me walk in front of him, as we entered the hallway. I chuckled, and walked into Kayden's room. When I walked in Kayden's eyes were covered in gauze. I sat on his bed, and touched his shoulder. He flinched and nearly fell off the bed.

"Woah there Kayden," Carter chuckled, and patted his shoulder. 

"Oh thank god,"Kayden breathed,"I'm happy you guys are here. Do you know what they said about my eyes?" Carter grabbed the clipboard from outside the door, and looked through Kayden's file.

"According to this clipboard, you're vision will restore itself," He paused, "But it will take several months."

Kayden groaned, and I sighed,"Sorry bud."

"It's fine I guess," He frowned,"Hey, do you guys know how Sean is? They won't tell me how he is, but they told me that Lucy is okay."

I looked at Carter for help, and he just walked over to the window. I huffed at my husband, and looked back at my oldest child.

"Kayden,"I began,"Sean isn't doing so well."

"W-What do you mean?" He stuttered, and I held his hand.

"Kayden, Sean has cancer," I sighed,"His life depends on what his mother picks." Kayden stayed quiet for awhile, before I heard his silent cries. I pulled him into a hug, and he cried into my shoulder.

"I don't want my best friend to die mom,"I sobbed.

"I know sweetheart,"I sniffled,"I'll make sure he lives." I pulled out of his hug once I heard a voice in the hallway. The voice made me angry, and that's when I realized that Sean's mom was here. "If you'll excuse me,"I pardoned myself,"I have some unfinished business to attend to."