Chapter 9

The tension in the room was unbearable. Luc walked to the other side of the classroom while I sat very still on desk trying not to think whether what just happened could be called a kiss. My whole body felt like it was aching for him and I had no idea why. Luc was such a jerk! We barely knew each other, but being alone with him in the classroom was making me crazy. Part of me was terrified by the feelings I had for this stranger while the other part just wanted to melt into his arms and let go.

Was this a vampire mate thing? Did Luc release a type of pheromone that made me go mushy in the head whenever he was physically near me? I shifted uncomfortably on the desk wondering how I was going to get through this.

Luc stood at the back of the classroom watching me. He leaned against the back wall with his hands in his pockets just staring. My skin began to itch again. It was not the kind of itch you get from an allergic reaction like a scratchy type of itch. It was the type of itch that you couldn't scratch.

It was absolutely maddening.

I pushed myself off the desk unable to sit still any longer and walked impatiently over to the window. Staring out across the campus grounds I watched the grounds men and gardeners hard at work cleaning up the Halloween mess. Those frat boys made that mess, and they also made this mess inside the classroom. Why wasn't Laura Taylor duped into marrying Luc- why was it me?

"You were destined to be my mate," Luc said interrupting my train of thought, "An oracle told me exactly when I would meet you. She said that you were an angel sent to guide me out of my darkness."

"What kind of darkness?" I asked.

Luc bowed his head, hiding those dark eyes of his, "My life is pretty messed up Mia- it's difficult to explain, and I don't want to scare you," he said.

"I'm pretty tough Luc. I do not need to be protected," I replied.

"Good, because that might come in handy one day. Where I come from being a vampire is ruthless..." his voice suddenly trailed off and for a split second I swear I heard the ground beneath us groan, "But I am sure we will get through this phase, if you generously decide to stop tormenting me."

Tormenting? How had I been tormenting him I briefly wondered? Luc read my mind.

"That- 'boy'." Luc said gravely, unable to say Jack's name.

"Oh," I said.

"Have you forgotten about him already, my love?" Luc asked sarcastically.

"No," I snapped.

"You should, it would be much better for his health, and mine," Luc replied.

Compelled I glanced up from the window and saw him directly looking at me, his eyes endless burning pools of dark amber that swallowed me whole. A fire burned through my body, memories of last night became fresh and raw once again. My breath caught in my throat and I tore my gaze away from his. For a fleeting moment I felt his annoyance, and anger, as if I had rejected him and pushed him away from me. There seemed to be a deep underlying urgency to be together.

I hated the way he was making me feel, it was torture.

"I need to get some air and have some lunch," I said unable to bear the tensions any longer. I began walking towards the door when Luc suddenly appeared in front of me, his body right in front of mine, blocking my path.

"Luc," I swallowed, "Please-"

"I feel it too," Luc said softly, "The aching, the burning... I have never felt like this about anyone before. It feels like I am losing my fucking mind..."

Luc moved closer to me, his body suddenly crowding mine. At that point I stopped thinking, all I could do was feel him, feel the heat from his body and smell the scent of his skin. My skin began to throb, like it would explode if he didn't touch me.

"Luc, I need y-"

Before I could finish my sentence the door opened behind us and Jacques walked in with a picnic cooler. Holding the picnic cooler up he announced cheerfully, "I brought lunch!"

Luc stepped away from me murmuring, "Great- lunch."

My heart and body felt utterly bereft the moment Luc stepped away. I watched him move towards Jacques putting more and more distance between us.

"Mia it is important for you to eat," Luc said.

"Great. I'm starving." I said flatly.

I watched Luc take the cooler box from Jacques and open it up.

"Now Mia, I need you to be...opened minded," Luc said carefully choosing his words.

"Why," I asked. Was he into strange cuisine or something?

Luc then gently lifted a medical bag of blood out of the cooler box.

Numbly I stared at the bag, horrified.

"You can't make me. I won't," I stammered staring at the dark crimson liquid that he held in front of me.

Sighing stepped towards me waving the bag in front of me. I watched the heavy liquid swivel and flow in the bag, and felt the back of my throat beginning to burn and my mouth. Hesitating I stepped backwards into a desk.

Luc then tore open the bag, and placed it under my nose suddenly for the second time ever my fangs exploded out in to my mouth. I covered my mouth ashamed and with supernatural speed I fled to the back of the classroom. My eyes were burning as tears began to fall.

It was silly really but I was crying for the loss of my humanity. I was no longer a normal girl. Nervously I touched my new pointed teeth in a sort of morbid curiosity. I burst out into floods of tears. 

"What have you done to me?" I asked Luc sobbing.

Luc quickly put the blood back into the cooler and pulled out a carton of juice.

"I'm sorry, my love. Here try this instead." Luc said throwing me the carton of apple juice.

Grabbing it I sniffed back my tears and happily I snapped the straw off and stuck in the carton and took a gulp. Immediately as the liquid touched my tongue I could tell it wasn't apple juice. Sweet and refreshing I couldn't stop myself from gulping the stuff down.

I knew it was blood and knew Luc had tricked me, but I couldn't stop myself from drinking it. As I slurped the last drop I stared angrily at Luc.

"Did your mother never use tricks to get you to eat vegetables?" Luc asked unrepentant.

"Yes, but it wasn't blood." I ground out flatly throwing the carton at him.

"Mia you're a vampire you need blood to live now." Luc said bluntly catching the carton and tossing it in the bin. I ignored him grabbing a real carton of juice out of my bag.

"I hate you!" I yelled grabbing my bag and storming off out the classroom.