Chapter One

10 DAYS OF TRUE BORN!

Since you are the reason True Born has gone from a tiny novella to a full-length novel in a trilogy, it seems only fitting that I give back to you with a special sneak peak!

True Born is hitting stores May 3rd, but I wanted to give you all a chance to see how the material has evolved during the publication process. (The first chapter in particular is a bit different - and there is at least one important scene in the novel that has changed - you'll just have to keep reading to see what!)

And so: without further ado! Every day (April 21 - April 30, 2016) for the next 10 days I will be posting a new chapter of True Born. That's right - you heard me - 10 chapters over 10 days!

And if you'd like to read a little more about the reasons I'm doing this, feel free to check out my #LovelettertoWattpad on my website: www.le-sterling.com. 

Okay, Wattpad! It's time for the great 10 Chapter Reveal! Here is Chapter One of True Born. 

------------------------------------

When we came into the world, silent and cowled, my sister and I were attached by our big toes

When we came into the world, silent and cowled, my sister and I were attached by our big toes.They waited a whole day to separate us, and for that one perfect day, Margot and I were one. After the separation, they tell us, we cried for days, would not be pacified except when we were laid side by side, touching.Our toes show the scars from our being ripped apart. Mine is brown in the shape of a blotchy lock. Margot's is long and thin with little teeth that make it look like a key. We decided this as young girls, as we stared at the freckled flesh that has long since become a part of the story of us. I pull my foot free from my leather boot and wiggle my toes, staring at the inky blot that marks me one of two. Beside me at the courtyard table of our exclusive private school, my sister throws back her hair and looks around for teachers or guards who might be able to convince her to come inside—since I clearly can't.

"I'm not skipping the whole day, Lu. Just this period. I'll be back after lunch. Promise," Margot reasons, staring back at me with a look one inch shy of mischief.

We are supposedly identical, but despite carrying the same long chin, we don't look precisely alike. Our mother tells us I'm built like a bird: thin and small, with a cap of deep shadow-brown curls and dark gray eyes. Margot is a smidge taller, fuller, her hair a shade lighter and three shades straighter. Her eyes are a mystery: green and gray and a glint of gold. And when Margot walks into a room, she commands all eyes while I, the sparrow, sit unnoticed and observe. Margot is fire: bright and ready to burn out of control. I am the less exciting twin, the responsible twin.

Despite Margot being older by one and a half minutes, it has always fallen to me to watch over her. I'd not call her wild—our parents wouldn't stand for a wild child—but she does know how to skate the boundaries. Still, though I've not given our parents a moment's worry, Margot is the family favorite: the one our mother most enjoys and our father coddles. And me? I'm the one who keeps her out of scrapes so she can enjoy her favored status. It may seem like I'm doing a lot of work, but I get something out of it, too. As long as I keep Margot in the limelight, I'm not the one our parents expect to entertain visiting businessmen and politicians. Which is the reason I'm currently outside in the cold arguing with my sister instead of sitting in my favorite class.