One

Jeon Wonwoo was freaking the fuck out. He had woken up at least fifty minutes late, basically ran to school, forgot his bag, had to run back home again, before stopping off at a corner store to buy his lunch. To top off his absolutely perfect morning he was standing at the front of the classroom, an hour late, faced with a room of full seats.

Fuck.

Wonwoo's usual seat at the back of the room was taken by the class 'maknae', Chan, and every seat in the entire place was taken up. His eyes scanned the room full of faces before his gaze finally settled on the only empty seat.

FUCK.

Kim Mingyu's phone was illuminating his oh-so-perfect face, as his thumbs idly scrolled through his Instagram feed, his school bags resting on the empty chair next to him. No. Oh, God no. Jeon Wonwoo did not want to sit there.

"Wonwoo, just sit down, what are you doing? You're late to class, the least you can do is take a seat," Wonwoo's teacher grumbled with a sigh, "look, there's a space next to Mingyu."

Wonwoo was really hoping she wouldn't say that.

Walking as slowly as possible to stall time, Wonwoo dragged himself towards the empty seat, shooting occasional glares at Chan to show his annoyance at his seat being taken. With a deep breath, Wonwoo sat next to his literal Prince Charming, throwing his black messenger bag under the desk and sitting as stiffly and awkwardly as it was humanly possible. But then, Jeon Wonwoo was the pinnacle of human awkwardness.

If you knew Wonwoo, if you really knew Wonwoo, you still probably wouldn't know about his huge ass, life consuming crush on Kim Mingyu because Wonwoo was still firmly closeted, despite being as absolutely bent as a fucking spring. You could say that Wonwoo was so deep in that closet that he was basically living his life in Narnia, but realistically there was no Narnia in Wonwoo's closet, just skinny jeans and band shirts.
His schoolgirl crush was honestly one of the most obvious things in the world, but nobody really looked at Wonwoo to find out. Wonwoo was glad nobody noticed. Being found out as gay wasn't exactly Wonwoo's dream come true. Of course there were groups of people in school that yelled the occasional 'fag' at Wonwoo when he was in the hall, but Wonwoo put on a poker face and walked past. It hurt really, though. People could be dicks. It was to be expected, though, after all Wonwoo did paint his nails.

A hand waved over Wonwoo's face. "I said hey, Wonwoo," came the honey sweet voice of none other than Kim Mingyu.

Oh man. Holy shit. Kim Mingyu was talking to Jeon Wonwoo. Amd Wonwoo had zoned out and made a complete dick of himself.

"Hey," Wonwoo replied. He was meant to sound friendly, and as heterosexual as he could muster, but it came out as an intimidating growl. Fuck, again. Wonwoo was not having a good day.

"We've never really talked," Mingyu said, his eyes locking onto Wonwoo, who simply looked down and sort of frowned at the table.

"Not really," Wonwoo replied, trying as hard as he could not to look up at the taller boy next to him.

The whole of first period went like that, with Mingyu making attempts at conversation and Wonwoo firing back boring, one word answers because he couldn't really say anything more without his tongue doing somersaults in his mouth. As usual, Wonwoo put on his poker face and tried to act as straight as he could, but he didn't even know what acting straight would be so his eyes kept fixed on the desk in front of him.

It wasn't that Wonwoo didn't want to talk to Mingyu, he just didn't know what he would actually say. 'Oh, hey, Mingyu, I have this totally fucking gay crush on you so be my boyfriend, also your ass is out of this world.' Somehow he didn't think Mingyu would be too impressed by that.

Wonwoo found himself staring blankly at his textbook about twenty minutes before the end of the lesson. Mingyu was calmly getting on with the work, Wonwoo watched his hands move against his book and pencil from the corner of his eye. Not only was Kim Mingyu jaw-droppingly gorgeous, he was also good at chemistry. What a catch.

Mingyu looked up, catching Wonwoo's gaze for a second. "Do you need help?" he asked, looking over at Wonwoo's blank answer sheet.

Wonwoo didn't really know what to say, and found himself subconsciously nodding. For the umpteenth time that lesson Wonwoo mentally cursed. FUCK.

"See this? That's the carbon atom. And ionic bonding is where it gives electrons it doesn't need to the hydrogen atom..."

Wonwoo was trying to focus, he really was. But damn, Mingyu had a great jawline. Adding occasional nods along to Mingyu's explanations, he hoped he would he able to act like he was actually paying attention. The way Mingyu leant over the desk towards him, the way his lips and jaw moved as he talked, the way he looked up at Wonwoo to check he understood.

Wonwoo really hated Lee Chan right now. It would have been so much easier if Chan had sat in his usual seat next to Soonyoung, and then Jihoon, who usually sat with Mingyu wouldn't have moved to sit with Soonyoung, but no. He had to sit in Wonwoo's chair at the back of the class.

"You got it?" Mingyu asked.

"Yeah," replied Wonwoo. He hesitated before adding, "repeat the bit about the ions again?"

Mingyu let out a sigh that turned into the cutest laugh Wonwoo's ears had been blessed to hear. "The bit about ions is literally the whole thing, dumbass. Just don't bother with the work, I mean, it's chemistry. Who really cares?"

Wonwoo nodded. "I guess."

"I'm bored of working now, anyway. Let's just talk," Mingyu smiled.

Wonwoo tried to keep from screeching. "Sure," he agreed.

As if Wonwoo's shitty ass luck could get any worse, the bell announcing the next lesson cut through the words Mingyu was about to say. FUCK, FUCK, FUCK.

Mingyu stood up and proceeded to shove his books into his bag. "We don't have next lesson together, that's pretty crappy. You're not as bad as people think, I guess."

"Thanks?" Wonwoo said. Wait. Did Kim Fucking Mingyu just compliment Jeon Loner Wonwoo? Maybe his luck wasn't so bad after all. Lucky Charm Jeon Wonwoo sounded like a quite impressive title.

"Come sit with us at lunch," Mingyu suggested, slinging his bag over his shoulder, "we sit on the table near the water cooler, in the cafeteria."

"Sure," Wonwoo nodded. Okay. He was definitely getting a shitload more lucky.

"Bye," Mingyu called as he left the classroom, leaving Wonwoo standing behind his desk, completely awestruck.

Today was really looking up.