Chapter 21

April's POV

I grinned at my vintage blue car, patting its bonnet before jumping inside, dusting down the surfaces as I got in. It could break down any minute, but this car had been with me since I had come to America, and it was sold cheap, hence it being in bad shape.

Once I reached school, I jogged over to my locker, sighing as I glanced around me. Even the sight of Miss Rosalinda, my Spanish teacher from the darkest abysses of hell, was a pleasing sight. I never thought I would survive the kidnapping - I was certain I would be dead. Or worse.

Kayla's blonde curls came into my peripheral vision, but she was moving so quickly I barely recognized  her. She was probably going to cheer practice. Nina was probably in the canteen but I wanted to be in class on time, so I decided to go straight to Maths before the bell.

After 5 minutes, students began milling in, chatting to their friends about their weekend and messing around whilst I waited patiently for the torture to begin. I smiled at some people and made idle small talk, but in the end, I resorted to looking out of the window. My I hate everyone and everything attitude was coming back to me as more and more people filled the room. Once we were all sat and the atmosphere had finally lulled to a dull hum of normalcy, there was an interruption at the door.

"Sorry I'm late Miss. I got lost - I'm new here."

My head jerked up at that voice. Aiden grinned sheepishly at Miss Harp. My mouth dropped open. What the hell is happening? She instructed him to sit anywhere and Aiden looked up and caught my eye, winking. He started taking slow steps towards the only empty seat in class - next to me.

My breathing became jagged and I shoved my bag up more prominently to look bigger in the adjacent seat to stop the advancing Aiden. He reached my table and cocked an eyebrow. Miss Harp and the class were looking at me expectantly, so I hesitantly moved my bag, allowing him to sit.

Did he follow me here? My horror soon turned to curiousness and I glared at Aiden from the corner of my eye.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"I told you, I'm here to make your life hell. And to make sure you stick to the deal. Remember?" He whispered back. Several people were staring at the new edition to the class, and I, as a result was also being stared at for talking to the new edition. I tried to concentrate on the lesson, but Aiden was distracting.

"How?" I muttered through gritted teeth. 

"It was easy. I'm a new student - Falls High School don't do very good background checks. To them, I'm simply a student who fell behind in his studies when he traveled the world with his parents at 17. Finding you was a piece of cake - you don't hide very well."

I scoffed. I was not going to talk to Aiden or give him anything to be happy about - meaning my misery. Miss Harp has set us some questions and Aiden had leaned back in his chair.

He kept prodding me and poking me, asking me what I thought the answer was, but truthfully, I couldn't even work out the first question. Maths was too hard and it was even worse having to concentrate when Aiden was here. He then proceeded to mess up my perfectly arranged pencil case. In the end, I stomped on his foot and swore at him, giving him the most hateful glare I could muster.

"Hey, April? Miss Hart said you have to show me around - after all you are my girlfriend now." Aiden smirked, knowing he'd gauge a reaction out of me.

"There is no way in hell I'm showing you around. If you're clever enough to fool the school into enrolling, you're clever enough to find your way around."