Orinoco Crocodile

The Orinoco Crocodile, or Crocodylus intermedius, is a critically endangered species. It is part of the larger group of crocodilians, including alligators, caimans, and the gharial.

It is found in the Orinoco River of Columbia and Venezuela. It resides in the freshwater river and its tributaries, preying on fish, large birds, and small mammals that are in or near its watery habitat.

It is the largest predator in South America with males reaching 5 meters (16.4 ft) and females at about 3.2 meters (10.5 ft). Males are about 380kg (830.8 lbs) and females are approximately 200 kg (440.9 lbs). The crocodile has about three recorded colorations, the common one being Amarillo; light tan with dark patches. It has a relatively long snout with some ridge bumps in front of and along its eyes.

The Orinoco Crocodile is critically endangered because it was hunted for its skin between the 1930s all the way to the 60s. There are less than 1,500 in the wild because it was almost hunted to extinction. It is still poached for its meat and teeth because they are believed to have medicinal properties. Eggs and juveniles are also collected for trade. On top of this there is habitat destruction, competition with the spectacled caiman, and killing by locals.

Fortunately there are programs put in place to reintroduce captive Orinoco crocodiles to their natural habitat.

Remember, May 20th is Endangered Species Day!

Info found here: http://www.arkive.org/orinoco-crocodile/crocodylus-intermedius/
(My teacher would kill me for not citing that properly 😂. Oh well.)