Chapter Eighty-Three

"This is the third call in the last hour that you've ignored. I'm beginning to worry, Hollee. Why aren't you answering me? I need you for back-up, Elena's trying to get me to go to a school dance. I was thinking we could have another movie night or something. Just hang out like we used to. We haven't done that in a while and I miss it. Plus, I have major boy troubles and you're better at giving advice than my sister is." I've been home 3 days and Jeremy was adapting well to being back. I could see that he was missing school and being able to be a normal boy but I knew that he also liked knowing we were all alright and alive. That, or he was secretly an adrenaline junkie and enjoyed the thrill and rush surviving bought to him. Either's plausible. "I'm getting tired to talking to myself here, Hollee. Please just pick up and let me know that you're alright."
I hung up, more anxious that I was before. Something had to be wrong, Hollee never ignores me calls like this, never. Obviously, unless one of us is evil or something but even then it was never this obvious. I hadn't seen her since before Elijah kidnapped me and I was beginning to think that maybe she was on his side with things. That Elijah really was as evil as I wanted him to be and had been telling her a shit load of lie about me and everyone. Unfortunately, that doesn't sound like something Elijah would do but that doesn't mean anything. People change all the time. Maybe he's compelled Hollee. . .
I couldn't get my mind to settle, it kept shifting through possible reasons as to why Hollee was being so evasive and hiding away from me. I threw my covers off and stood, pulling on a quick . My mind's made-up. I'm going over. I have to know that she's alright.
"Elena! I'm going out!" I shouted through the house. I hopped out of my room, tugging on a shoe as I closed my bed room door.
Jeremy's bedroom door opened and Elena came out, a frown on her face. "Where?"
"What's got you in such a bad mood?"
"I thought you were going to get ready with me, Caroline and Bonnie."
"You thought that I was going to the stupid dance?" she nodded. "Why? You know I hate those kind of things. Plus, I don't have a date."
"Neither do I."
I lifted a brow and smirked. "Oh yeah? Really? So you weren't planning on going with Matt?"
"How did you know?" Her face flushed and she moved her head, her loose hair falling around her flaming cheeks.
"I bumped into him last night when we got back into town. He bought it up."
"So, maybe I do have a date, but just because you don't doesn't mean you don't have to go."
"I know," I said. "I just don't want to. Plus, I've got things to do today and if I'm being honest I'm avoiding Damon."
"He's not going."
"He always goes."
"I'll ask him not too."
"And he'll go just to spite you and me."
"Please," she pleaded, puppy-dog eyes wide.
"Nope, sorry. No matter how nicely you ask, not going to happen. Now I've really got to go, I've got people to see."
"Are you sure you don't want to go? I'll tell Matt I want to go alone and we could go together; like old times?"
I smiled and placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. "I'm sure. Go and have fun."
"I'll keep my phone on me, if you need me don't hesitate to call."
"Promise," I said. "I'll see you later, tell Jeremy to have fun tonight."
"Be careful!" She called after me down the stairs.
I waved her off, "Always am."

No lights were on as I pulled into Hollee's drive just behind her own car. At least that was positive. She wouldn't have gone anywhere without that, I'm sure. I turned the engine off and got out. Walking quickly up the path, pausing for only a brief second before knocking loudly – almost aggressively. She needs to know that I'm pissed at her ignoring me.
I waited.
I knocked again. . . But still nothing. The dread building and twisting in my guy knotted tightly. "Hollee?!" I called through the door. I grabbed the handle and pulled – it's locked. I frowned. This was getting weirder by the moment. Hollee never really locks her door, she's usually always there or something.
I glanced around, over my shoulder for any incoming people. Happy that the coast was clear, I yanked the handle a little harder than necessary and it broke off in my hand, but the door clicked open. I smiled to myself. Vamp strength is useful for something. I slipped inside quickly and pushed the door close, pulling the small chain across to keep it semi closed. "Hollee?" I called out.
The house was eerily quiet. Everything was pretty much spotless and there was nothing left out that shouldn't have been. There was no one here either. It was silent.
Hollee, where are you?
I moved into the living room. Piles of paperwork covered a lot of her table, but all her usual wine glasses were gone as were the empty bottles I'm sure she had been collected underneath the table. I sat down and nosily flipped through the top of a couple of the piles, interested in what she had been doing. A lot of it, I couldn't understand, it was all technical and stuff. Mostly work, about previous and current cases she was supposed to be working on. Something caught my eye in the second pile. A thin, wrinkled piece of paper, that was folded in half stuck out the side. I pulled it free and flipped it open. The elegant cursive had to have belonged to Elijah.

My dearest,
I'm sorry I wasn't there when you awoke, I had business with my brother to attend. I shouldn't be long, my love. I'll be back as soon as I can be.
I hope you slept well, and that I didn't disturb you too much when I left. I know you don't like me leaving without saying goodbye, but you looked much too peaceful to disturb. Never forget that I love you with everything that I am.
Yours, Elijah

Gross. Seriously, how can one person be so fucking soppy. He's over a 1000 years old, surely he's been in love before, so then why is he acting like a love sick teen. It's weird. I don't know how Hollee can deal with it. I dropped the note back on top of the pile I found it. That's enough of that.
Hollee clearly wasn't here and it felt like she hadn't been here in days. Nothing had been moved or touched really. Except, obviously, what I've just moved around in my snooping. The only other person I could think of to ask about Hollee's whereabouts was Elijah. And he's not exactly someone I have on speed-dial. His brother, on the other hand I do. Weirdly enough.
I unchained the door and walked out, pulling it closed behind me. It bounced closed and then slowly with the wind blew back open. Great, Hollee is going to kill me when she turns back up. How do I close a door that can't be closed? My answer. . . You don't. I ignored it and got back into Elena's car. I held down the number 6 and Klaus' number appeared on screen, ringing.
"Hello?"
"You answer the phone strangely normal for a homicidal maniac," I commented.
"Ah, Lillian, I was wondering when I'd hear from you again."
"Yeah, well I'm not calling for you, Klaus. I'm looking for your brother."
"Which one, you'll need to be more specific. I now have two roaming around-" I hung up, not having time for him to play games. I really wish he was more approachable.

"You didn't knock," Klaus said. His back was too me as I entered and he turned around to face me, a small paintbrush in one hand.
"You paint?"
"Everyone has their hobbies."
"I thought yours was killing people."
"That too," he put the brush down and wiped his hands on an old rag "What do you want with my brother, Lillie? And in case you haven't noticed, neither one is here."
"Where are they?" I asked, curiously.
"Who knows."
"You're really not helping me."
"I know," he smirked.
"Klaus, I'm not joking around."
He sighed. "I take it you're looking for Elijah. He's not here, and when I say that I mean, he's not in town anymore."
My eyes narrowed. "Where's he gone?"
Klaus shrugged. "Don't know, didn't ask. He and Hollee packed up and left. He mentioned something about returning in the future but in a typical Elijah fashion, forgot to leave a date with me."
"So. . . They left town?"
"That's what I just said. Are you going deaf?"
"No, but I don't necessarily trust you. You lie." I snapped, beginning to lose my temper. He was acting so casual about it and that was kind of freaking me out. Klaus would never let his brother really just leave town, would he? Of course not, he's got attachment issues. Big ones, that's for sure.
"I have no reason to lie to you."
"You never have a reason."
"Look, I could have just killed you as soon as you stepped foot in my house, I didn't. I answered your annoying questions because the quicker I did that the quicker I thought you'd leave. It's not very often you'd finds me admitting that I'm wrong, this is an exception. Are we done here?"
"So, do you don't know anything?" I pressed. He has got to know something, even if it's just something small.
"No, just not to expect him back for dinner."

Leaving Klaus' I felt angry at Hollee. Klaus didn't have much information - and that was me just being kind when he actually had nothing to tell me, apart from the fact that they've left town. Hollee left town without telling me! I don't care if I was maybe in Denver when she left, and I don't care if it had maybe looked like I had left town first but she didn't even call me. Not a single text or call or even a fucking letter would have been appreciated. But I got nothing.
She didn't even bother to tell me and even now, when she's apparently been gone several days - nothing. I got back in the car and dialled her number. A part of me wanted her to answer so that i could make sure that she's alright, but another part wants to scream abuse down the phone at her and I know that I probably wouldn't even feel bad about it. She started this. But as it would be; I didn't get an answer. Just got put through to her voicemail. I had only one more option left and I really wish Hollee wasn't forcing me to do this right now.

"You're here for what?" Damon asked, blankly.
I stood at the front door, stiff and awkward. Damon was standing in the doorway, one hand holding the door open and the other supporting a bottle of bourbon. He still wouldn't even look at me right now.
"Do you or do you not have Elijah's phone number? It's a yes or no answer Damon."
"No."
"Are you just saying no because it's me that's asking for it?"
"Yes."
I sighed. "You're being the childish one here, Damon. Grow up a little bit."
He took a deep sip. "You slept with someone else. I'm upset, Lillie. But don't worry, I'll get over it soon. Maybe I'll go a find a nice hook-up for myself too."
I flinched at the hostility in his voice. I never meant to hurt him. . . much. And I never mean to sleep with Jamie either it was something that just happened. But realistically I did nothing wrong. "We weren't together," I mumbled.
"But that reason only works for you though, doesn't it? We weren't together after you left with Klaus and I started sleeping with Andie - you don't let me forget that. You were hurt by that."
"For a different reason! Yes, alright, I was upset and hurt that you were sleeping with Andie but it was more the fact that I felt like you had given up on me. I was waiting for you to save me and instead you were sleeping around with her."
He shook his head. "And you think that I'm not feeling the same right now? That I don't feel like you've given up on me?"
"You gave up on me first! When you weren't happy with who I was."
"It wasn't about you!" He snapped. "I love you however messed up you are - and at the moment you're bordering on crazy-"
"Watch i-"
"-You're the one that ended this. In case you've forgotten, you're the one that broke up with me."
"Didn't expect you to take it this harshly."
His eyes narrowed. "You really can be a bitch."
"I'm well aware thanks. Now do you have Elijah's number or not?"
He sighed, turned on his heels and disappeared into the house. I hesitated for a moment, unsure whether or not it was alright to follow him inside. I decided against it. I'd much rather not end up trapped inside with him. He returned just a few seconds later, a sheet of paper in one hand. He held it out. I reached to take it, but as quick as it appeared it was gone.
I glared at him. "What game are you playing?"
"What game are you playing? Why're you trying to get a hold of Elijah? Last I checked you kind of hated him."
"It's none of your business," I hissed. "Just give me the stupid number."
"Why?" He pressed smugly.
"Because I asked nicely."
"You mean just because you asked period."
I gritted my teeth together. "Please."
"I'll make you a deal," he started and I groaned. Why could this not be simple? My anger was growing even more with Hollee. This is her fault.
"What?"
"Can we just talk?" Anything smug about Damon vanished and he was back to looking like a small wounded puppy. His blue eyes were staring at me intensely and for one of the rare moments in time, Damon looked genuine. "About everything that has happened."
"You hate me."
"I never said that."
"You didn't need too."
"I was angry, that's all. And I've had time to think about it-"
"What? The few seconds it took you to disappear inside? That's not thinking Damon. I don't know what you did in there, but just a few moments a go you were still very much angry with me."
"And I've decided to be the bigger person."
I rolled my eyes. "Yeah right."
"You're making this harder than it has to be."
"And you're being weird. I just want the number, Damon, that's all and then I'll be out of your hair."
He held it out again. "Agree to talk it through with me and the number is all yours."
I exhaled heavily and nodded. "Fine, alright. I'll do it, can I please have the number now?" I reached for it slowly, eyes on Damon, trying to anticipate whether or not he was once again fucking with me. He let me take it this time and he even forced a smile too.
"Come to the dance tonight."
I groaned. "Have you spoken to Elena? Because I've already told her no."
"We're all going," he said. "It's be nice if you were too."
"No thanks. Now, is that all? I've got places to be, people to shout at down the phone."

That was one of the weirdest encounters with Damon I have to date. Never has he gone from being pissed at me to wanting to sort the shit out, it's really confusing about where he's standing with me. And it was almost like he wasn't willing to let me say goodbye either. And what is it with this stupid-ass dance that everyone wants me to go to? Do these people seriously not know me – I don't dance at dances. I don't even like going all that much.
But I had the one things that I needed. Elijah hopefully doesn't have phone number – if he does this was clear waste of time.
I dialled the number and waited impatiently as it rang.
"Who is this?" Elijah's distinctive voice called through the phone.
"Finally!" I exclaimed. "Do you know how fucking hard it is to get into contact with either of you?"
"Lillie?" He questioned, shocked.
"Didn't think you'd hear from me, did ya? Put Hollee on the phone, I don't want to talk to you."
"Hollee your friend is on the phone," Elijah spoke distantly as he pulled the phone away. Ruffling on the end sounded for a moment and then I heard Hollee.
"Which one?"
"Which one?" I asked incredulously. "The one you fucking forgot about!"
"Oh, it's you," she said.
"Great," I said, sarcastically. "it's just me, don't you stress yourself out over it."
"What do you want?" Hollee asked, before she giggled, away from the phone. "Stop it."
"Stop what? I haven't even done anything yet!"
"It wasn't you- Elijah, stop it, I'm on the phone," she giggled again.
I paused in my step, just shy of my front door and glared at the ground. "You're in bed, aren't you?"
"Maybe," she said slowly. "What do you want?"
"What do I want? Maybe to find out why my best friend has been ignoring my fucking calls and instead rolling around the sheets with her ancient boyfriend."
"Seriously? I haven't been ignoring you; it's 8am here,"
"Yeah, well it hasn't been 8am for the past week. Do you even check your phone anymore?"
"Well, not my US one, no – Elijah seriously! Can't you wait?"
"Can't you both fucking wait! I'm still here and you're disgusting me. And why not? Did you seriously just leave Mystic Falls and think, 'hey let's forget everyone I know from America'." I angrily unlocked the front door and then slammed it shut behind me.
"I'm over in London, Lils, I wanted some time with my family without worrying about all the crap that's probably going on over there- Elijah! My god, you can get out and make me breakfast if you're going to carry on like that."
"What if someone had died and we were trying to tell you? You'd never make it to the funeral and then we'd all hate you forever and never ever welcome you back. And tell Elijah that he's a grown-ass fucking man and that food is way more important than sex." I huffed as I made myself comfortable on the sofa. It was nice to finally feel welcomed in my own home again and to actually have it to myself. That's rarely happened before.
"Yeah, see, Elijah. Food is way more important. Oh, yes please- with a coffee too? Thank you, you're the best," Hollee said, away from the phone. "Sorry Lils. OK. I'm really sorry- I just got caught up with seeing my family again."
"And decided to forget about your other one."
"Will anything I say stop you from being angry?"
"No."
"Then why are you calling?"
"To tell you I'm pissed and that everyone here hates you now."
"OK, that's cool."
"Fine."
"Is there anything else?"
"No." I then hung up. I was so pissed at her. So angry and I know that I have a reason to be but the fact that she's acting all nonchalant about it was annoying me further. She didn't sound at all that bothered and that was probably Elijah's fucking fault. I hate that old guy. I really do and I hate that Hollee loves him. It's weird and . . .ugh.
I took a deep, calming breath and switched on the TV. Might as well make the most of having the house to myself and try to get my anger away from Hollee and her abandonment.

I must have dozed off during some crappy romance movie because the next thing I know my phone was lighting up beside me and shrilling loudly. I slapped my hand down and grabbed it. "Hello?" I groggily answered. I yawned and struggled to sit up.
"Lillie are you alright?!" Stefan demanded frantically down the phone.
"Huh?" I mumbled. "Am I okay? Sure, why? What's up?"
"You haven't been answering any of our calls – Elena's on her way home right now with Damon and Jeremy."
"Sorry," I apologised with another lengthy yawn. "I must have fallen asleep. Why're you so anxious to get a hold of me?"
"I'm so sorry Lillie," Stefan's voice dropped.
"Why?" I asked slowly. "What's happened, Stefan?"
"It's Ric, he's – he's dead."
A heavy feel fell upon my shoulders. "W-what? No!"
"Ester, she used the last of her magic to turn him into an original vampire, hoping he'd be what she needed to wipe us out."
"Then he's not dead! Why the hell would you say it like that. You have me freaking out, Stefan!"
"He's not completing the transition. He refuses too. His alter ego's too powerful, there's not guarantee that when he reawakens he'll be the Ric that we know and not the one who hates vampires."
The heaviness on my shoulders pressed down harder. "So he's just going to sit and wait to die like Caroline's dad? There has to be something that we can do – something Bonnie can do! She's powerful, there's got to be something." I was on my feet in a second, already pulling on my shoes and a jacket. I needed to see him. I need to try and convince him to transition over. I can't let him die – I won't let him.
"It's his choice, Lillie. He doesn't want that."
"And I don't want him to die!"
"None of us do."
"Where is he?" I demanded, ignore his previous comment.
"The Cemetery."
I swiped my keys from where I had dumped them. And then muttered a quick 'thanks,' before hanging up. I already knew that he was going to ask that I wait for Elena to get home and have Damon possibly drive me up there, but I couldn't wait. Not when I had already missed so much of this evening already. I can't believe that Alaric dying and that he's not going to save himself.

Stefan hadn't been very specific on the details and I had to rely on my sense of smell to try and locate Alaric, luckily he had recently been bleeding – or someone had been. I just followed the scent of blood. Like a real typical vampire. I found him though, inside some unknown crypt, alone and looking dreadful. His skin was pale and ashen, covered in a sweat sheen. He was still alive; I could hear the faint beating of his heart still but my own twisted at the sight.
"Hey," I spoke softly, gently keeping the door open to let in a breeze for him.
His eyes fluttered open and the drooped tiredly. He tried to smiled. "You missed all the fun."
"Yeah, that seems to be happening a lot for me. Stefan filled me in on what happened. Ric, why won't you feed?"
"I don't want to hurt anyone."
"You won't," I assured, gently. "We'll all help you through it. We all kind of suck at self-control but we'll work on it together."
He slowly shook his head. "It's not that. I can feel the darkness in my mind. I can feel the other me and this time I know that when I accept this, I'll be accepting him. Ester chose me because of my alter ego. She's knows that the vampire side of this-" he choked on a wet cough. I dropped to my knees in front of him and squeezed his hands. "is only for him."
My eyes stung and I tried to keep my tears at bay. "It's okay," I said despite my pain. "I understand. It's okay to let go now. It's okay to move on from here. You've done more than we could have ever asked of you and you deserve some kind of peace, Ric. Maybe I didn't exactly have death in mind – maybe a nice vacation to the Bahamas or something-"
Ric squeezed my hand this time. It was weak and I could see him slowly deteriorating. He was dying and there was nothing I could do about it. "I don't regret anything I've done for any of you. And given the chance I would do it all over again. Elena once told me that I was a part of your family the moment I began sleeping on the couch and she was right. I love you guys and I'm happy that you're okay now. I've accepted that this is how it has to be. I don't want you to blame yourself and I want you to make sure Elena gets the same message. I'm choosing to do this – it's my choice."
Tears overwhelmed me and slid down my cheeks. "We love you too, Ric. Sorry, this was all the time you'd gotten with us."
"It's more than I could have asked for-" The heavy metal door creaked and Ric and I snapped our attention to it. "Bonnie?"
She walked through and smiled at us. "Came to say goodbye."
I gave a watery smile back, squeezed Ric's hand once more and stood up to give her room. She came over and wrapped her arms around me in a comforting hug. "I'm sorry," she said.
"It's alright, not your fault."
"But this is." Her grip on me tightened and before I could react a blinding pain shot through my head. My vision doubled and I collapsed to the ground, unable to move an inch. Bonnie's face was no void of any emotion and her dark eyes was calculating. A large, sharp rock in one hand, one side covered in blood. I tried to blink my vision back to normal but it hurt too much. And then she advanced on me, rock held high. And all I could see was it swing down toward me swiftly.