Chapter 2: dead inside

Verna watched the ceiling, her body felt cold, numb, exhausted yet she couldn't sleep. After waking from her nightmare she couldn't go back to her blissful slumber, Verna barely remembered what it was like to sleep without a nightmare. She hadn't had slept soundly in years, the medication didn't help but no one bothered to change it even after she pleaded Mitch he just laughed at her and left.
'Why don't we just kill the nurse?' The cackling voice suggests with ease, 'with him gone you're free to kill yourself, put an end to your miserable existence' it laughed as she considered it.
She wouldn't mind killing Mitch, it was true that once Mitch was dead she was free to off herself. She had become fairly good at disregarding the voice in her head, it wasn't always mean. Sometimes it made good points.
She watched black sludge move across the ceiling, it's movement entranced her as she momentarily forgot that it was time for her to eat.
A knock on the door had her head rolling to the side to look, this time she saw a version of her father but he was dirty, his body twisted into a monster, she watched wide eyes unable to more or save herself. Her blood felt like ice.
Blink.
The monstrous figure turn into Mitch. Her lips were pressed into a firm line, she much preferred the monster.
"Hello," Mitch purred, his voice made her cringe. Thoughts entered her head of brutally murdering Mitch, she watched a flash of herself stabbing him in the neck with a large knife. His mouth open as a silent scream was released in a gulp of air, his eyes draining of life, his hands moving to cup his bleeding not throat.
Blink.
And it was gone, this time she stabbed the fork into his eyes. His scream of agony deafening her, she laughed her eyes as slit pupils and the color of burning fire. Other Verna shoves him to his knees repeatedly stabbing him, not letting up for a moment.
Two blinks.
Mitch was standing in front of her, same old smirk she instantly missed the visions.
"Time to eat!" He throws the tray at the wall, she predicted it. His actions weren't anything new, he was predictable. She knew if she wasn't so heavily medicated she could probably escape, she hadn't ran in a long time but she knew Mitch wasn't any better. While he looked slim to other she knew he was wearing a girdle, it made her lip twitch up in amusement at the thought. He saw the slight movement of her lips and promptly wedged his foot into her stomach, her movements were slow  gripping his ankle and slashed a tendon in his ankle with a a pin she couldn't remember how she got.
Blink.
He removed his foot from her stomach leaving her slumped against the wall, he thought he was causing her pain but she almost laughed. She couldn't feel anything.
He grips her cheeks like before and pried her mouth open shoving his finger down her throat pushing the pill down until she couldn't possible spit it out. She wanted to scream, she wanted to bite his finger off, she wanted to stab him. The door opened revealing a beautiful nurse that Mitch normally flirted with.
"Mitch? How is everything?" Her voice was soft and sweet, she had no clue who she was talking to. His body twists to look at her as he smiles politely and chats with her, her eyes flicker to the food all over the wall as he explains that Verna threw a fit and put it there herself and he was only helping her.
Verna knew she didn't have any other option, her hands touched his chest discreetly slipping his ID from his pocket. She knew he visited many rooms and never paid attention to his ID.
'Great, now you can leave and then kill yourself! I was thinking about hanging! But boy do I want to see some blood spilled' it laughed, she ignored him slipping the ID under herself she made her body limp, pretending the meds were already kicking in. She had a 5-10 minute window at the moment, if he left her now she could jump. Her window was locked and luckily thanks to the amount of meds they put her on they assumed she wouldn't be able to get out.
Mitch chatted with the nurse for a few seconds longer, she was blushing by now with a lustful look. Verna had listened carefully to their conversation, it made her want to vomit. She prayed he would leave so she could vomit and get out of this hell hole. Mitch had done exactly what she planned, he got up and followed the nurse making sure to grope her as he passed.
The loud clank of the door shutting made her hunch over and vomit, she coughed it all out before gripping the ID in her her ghostly pale hands and wedging it under the window to shimmy the lock. The click of the window made her grin, grinning. Something she hadn't done in awhile. With that she had a chance.