Chapter 3: freedom

The window pushed open with ease, she didn't take time to stop as she pushed herself onto the window ledge, her fingers gripped the bricks as she practically fell down her fingers breaking open and nails splitting as she slides down the 3 stories. She got to the bottom and ignored the raw throbbing of her bleeding fingers, Verna ran. She looked back to see Mitch and the nurse running after her, panic gripped her and pushed her harder, faster, until her legs wanted to give out. She glanced back, Mitch and the nurse gone. She pushes herself for fear that her vision wasn't a vision. She was grateful for the visions, the illusions got her to run faster and push her limits.
Verna ran through thick trees, branches reached down in claw like hands ripping their nails across her bare arms. Her thin dress not helping the harsh scratches and whips of the branches.
She reaches a large brick wall, her adrenalin racing. Her raw bleeding fingers grip the brick, she pulls herself up scaling the giant wall. She pushed herself, the feeling of claws taking down her bare legs pushed her to climb faster, the sound of sirens and police lights made her blood run cold. Verna managed to get to the top, she clings to the flat surface heart beating rapidly in her chest. She didn't know where she was, Verna looked down in fear of being caught but saw nothing. The branches were normal, there were no cop cars. Nothing. She was safe.
Verna allowed herself to relax, her body calm and pressed against the cool surface of the bricks. She almost nodded to sleep when the voice spoke in her head.
'I wouldn't relax yet!' It cooed, she looked up confusion dancing on her expression 'you wandered into enemy territory!' It cackles, she froze debating or not whether she should climb down. 'I wouldn't do that if I were you! They don't like the crazies all that much, these animals will rip you apart' it giggles. She decided to trust the voice. For the most part so she stayed still.
Blinding light flashes into her eyes she froze, raw fingers clinging to the bricks in hope it would save her for being so far up.
'Looks like your screwed' the pressure of the voice seemed to have left after that statement leaving her venerable.
"Freeze!" The growl of a voice made her head perk up in curiosity, he sounded animalistic. These people sounded like animals but she didn't understand how that happened, she had never seen animals in her visions. Her curiosity outweighed her fear, she stood on the bricks carefully.
"If I jump. Will you catch me?" Her voice was steady, she was proud of herself.
"Don't jump!" The voice snarled back, he sounded  angry. She wondered why. Why did he care whether she jumped or not? If she lived he could arrest her and if she died she wasn't his problem anymore.
"I'm going to jump." Her voice was firm. She pushes herself off the wall curling herself into a ball as she fell, she would never make it if she landed on her own even if she bent her knees and her fingers couldn't take the strain anymore, her body rolled as it fell her skin felt like fire she felt like a meteor falling from the sky. The smell of burning flesh came to her nose as she crashed into the ground, her body was in excruciating pain. She let out an agonizing scream clutching her head with both hands. They didn't catch her. Her body felt broken like her legs and arms were snapped in half, like her ribs had concave into her chest piercing her organs.
Blink.
The pain was gone and she was in the arms of a large man. His face was twisted into an animals, it was a mixture of felines with a lion the most pronounced. She thought back to what the voice said about them killing her. She was going to die by their hands and she didn't even know who they were.
"Where am I?" Her voice was barely above a whisper, she urged herself to be brave. With the voice gone for the moment it was easier not to be mixed up by its words.
"You're in reservation, you scaled the NSO walls somehow" his eyes were narrow as he watched her with suspicion.
NSO? what was that? She watched his animal face twist from a confused look to a fierce look. She was in awe, she should be scared she knew she should but she just didn't know how.
Blink.
The mans face was normal, not completely human but not animalistic. He had a long blond mane, and fierce eyes.
"State your name female" he growled.
"Verna" she barked back "and yours?" She waited for an answer.
"Valiant" he frowns handing her to a red headed man, "Flame take her to the interrogation rooms I have to get to my Tammy, she is probably worried" he walks off leaving her confused. His Tammy? Why did he leave so fast?
Questions buzzed in her mind leaving her without an answer.