7. Questions Answered

I hadn't been able to sleep that night. The meeting at the Lockwood's had run late into the night, with them filling me in on the real history of Mystic Falls, and when I got home my house lay empty for which I was very grateful for. I couldn't face them.

I lay in my bed trying to make sense of everything. When it started to get bright I gave up the notion of getting any sleep and got up. I was meeting with my parents lawyer this morning so I jumped in the shower and then got dressed. I pulled on brown trousers with a matching white shirt that had very thin brown lines running through it and a pair of flats then headed downstairs. God I needed coffee. I froze at the kitchen door.

"Hello love."

I let out a sigh and walked past him. I completely ignored him as I made my coffee, I couldn't deal with him, or anyone for that matter without the hot beverage. Taking a mouthful I savoured it for a second. Now, I turned my attention to my unwelcome guest.

"What do you want Nik?"

A large part of me knew I should be very afraid of the man standing in my kitchen, but I also knew that if he wanted me dead I wouldn't be standing here drinking coffee. He watched me for a second.

"You wanted to know what was going on in this town, but you left before I could tell you what you wanted to know. I'm here now to answer any questions you might have, if you're still interested."

I sighed again, I was doing that a lot lately. "OK, so vampires are real. What's a Hybrid?"

I saw surprise on his face, but just for a second. "I see someone has been doing her homework. A hybrid is someone who is both vampire and werewolf." He explained.

My hand froze, the mug at my lips. "Werewolf!!!" I choked out. "Is that what you are?"

He nodded, "I'm not just any hybrid love. I'm the original. Original vampire, original hybrid."

I barked a laugh at him, "Of course you are. How can you walk in the daytime, or can all vampires do that?"

"Well," he started, "I can walk in the day because of my werewolf side. All hybrids can, like your wee friend Tyler. But when I was just a vampire I had a ring that was spelled by a witch that allowed me to be in the sun. A few vampires know about this neat little trick. Your friends being among the few."

I stopped him there, "Vampires, werewolves, hybrids and now witches. What's next... Fairies?"

Nik chuckled at that, "Not that I know of love!"

I thought for a second, then remembered my bracelet. "Why did my breacelet hurt Caroline?"

He grew serious again, "Vampires can compel humans. Kind of like a mind control. However there is a flower called Vervain which is toxic to vampires. If you wear or ingest vervain you can't be compelled."

Looking at the bracelet again I absorbed that bit of information. I had been thinking of giving it back to him but now I think I'll hold on to it. "Why would you give me something that is toxic to you?"

He didn't answer me. Ok next question.

"Why are you telling me all this?"

Now he looked slightly uncomfortable. Finally he spoke, "I honestly don't know."

I finished my coffee and put the mug in the dishwasher. "Ok, I have to go meet with my parent's lawyer, but before I go, what happened to my parents? I mean really happened?"

Now he looked confused, wow, a whole range of emotions going on here this morning.

"Jennifer, what are you talking about? I thought you said..." his voice trailed off as realisation set in. He was suddenly standing directly in front of me, "Sweetheart what do you know?"

I didn't flinch, I couldn't explain it. I just wasn't afraid of him. I told him about what happened after he revealed himself as a vampire... or hybrid, whatever... to me last night. About deciding to give my friends the benefit of the doubt, but overhearing the conversation about the council and the remark about my parents. I even told him about my going to the Lockwood's and what happened there.

He took a step back.

"I know you have no reason to trust me love, but I swear to you that I do not know what happened to your parents. I will find out for you though. I promise."

And with that I was standing alone in my kitchen. Giving myself a mental shake I grabbed my bag and keys and headed out to my car.

Caroline was standing there, a scowl on her face. I eyed her warily, "What do you want Caroline?"

She ignored my question, "You joined the council? How could you? And what was Klaus doing here?"

She actually pouted as she threw the questions at me. And who the hell was Klaus? Oh, she must be talking about Nik. And clearly the sheriff had filled them in on what had happened at the council meeting. I unlocked my car and climbed in, lowering the window.

"Nik was here answering my questions, telling me the truth. Something I would have preferred my best friend to do."

I started the car, she took a step closer, "Jennifer you don't understand..."

I cut her off, "Did you kill my parents Caroline?"

I heard her gasp. "How can you ask me that Jenni? I've known you forever, you're my best friend."

I could see tears forming in the corner of her eyes, and part of me wanted to run to her and hug her, tell her that everything would be ok. It was an automatic reaction when my oldest friend was hurting. But then I remembered what Bonnie said. I feel my eyes tighten.

"Well if it wasn't you, you still know who it was. I'm going to find out, even if it's the last thing I do." 

With that I drove off before she could say anything else. I watched her in the rear-view mirror. She just stood there, tears flowing down her cheeks. I hated hurting my friends, but one of them knew the truth about what happened to my parents and I would find out.