Forest's Shroud

The next morning you found yourself on the edge of the bed. Your left arm and leg were hanging off the side and you were no longer in the brothers' hold. Seeing yourself no longer in their grip, you quietly made your way out of the bed. However, when you got of the bed, the sight you saw was rather amusing. Since there was now no one in between the two brothers, they ended up in each others arms. Diamond had Heart in his hold, which left Heart cuddled up to his brother's bare chest. You didn't know how you managed to get out of their grasp last night. Maybe you were somehow able to roll your way over to the edge of the bed. Whatever the reason, it worked to your benefit. Thus you quickly and quietly made your way into the bathroom to start and finish your morning routine.

Coming out of the bathroom, you had on a black v-neck and a simple pair of grey cargo pants. Purple and black tennis shoes were on your feet while a simple purple jacket covered your arms. You put your (h/c) hair into a clip, so in case you needed to run it wouldn't get caught on any branches. Your new daggers were attached to your hips in their sheaths; the amethysts glimmering slightly even without a light source shining on them. Furthermore, a small purple and black checkered backpack rested on your shoulders, which you intended to feel with the basic necessities; food, water, etc.

Your gaze fell on the two sleeping brothers. You couldn't help, but smile a little at their sleeping positions. In a way they did look rather adorable, but that opinion would never leave your lips. Sighing lightly, you turned away and walked out of the room. From the beginning you planned on leaving the castle without the brothers knowing. Even if they did give you the daggers, some part of you knew that they would still try their best to keep you in the castle.

Now at the bottom of the stairwell you ran into Aberrous, who looked up at you curiously.

"My lady, you're up early. May I ask why?".

"I'm headed out to the forest Aberrous. When Diamond and Heart wake up, please tell them that I already left".

"I'm sorry that you must make such a dreadful journey, my lady. I'll give your message to the two masters. However, you must need some food and water before you set out. Follow me to the kitchen".

You smiled in gratitude before letting him guide you to the kitchen. Upon entering the kitchen, you set your backpack down on the counter. Aberrous handed you several pieces of fruit, which consisted of apples and oranges. Furthermore, he handed you a bag of almonds and some beef jerky. He even gave you a bag of double chocolate chip cookies. Likewise, he gave you three bottles of water. With your food, water and supplies in hand, you gave your thanks to Aberrous and left the castle.

It was strange to be back out on the grassy land surrounding the castle. You were just getting used to taking it easy. However, you wanted to be done with the sunhat girl and keeping her waiting was not an option. Thus you made your way to the back of the castle.

As you walked around the castle, you could feel the statues that were in front of the castle watching you. At one point you turned around to see if they had moved. Ever since the manager, you were quite wary of any statue in this world. Though, when you looked back, you almost had a heart attack. The statues were indeed staring back at you. All of them had their heads turned towards you. Your hands reached for your daggers, but you never drew the weapons. Instead of attacking, the statues merely waved at you, as if to say goodbye. You gave a weak wave back before increasing your pace to the back of the castle. Reaching the back of the castle, you saw a narrow dirt path, which led towards the forest beyond.

Five minutes passed before you came to the entrance of the forest. However, you stared at the entrance in bewilderment. The forest was raised above ground level and started on the edge of a cliff. You didn't quite know how to reach the entrance until your eyes fell on a rocky path that led upwards. Walking over to the beginning of the path, you observed the cliff's wall, which had elaborate designs etched into it. The details were so clean and precise that it made you think of a castle wall rather than a mere cliff.

Stepping onto the rocky path, you took careful steps, so as not to trip and fall. This path was not traveler friendly and one false move would mean death due to the sheer height of the cliff. Thus you felt relieved when you finally made it to the entrance of the forest.

The entrance to the forest made you think that you were entering a completely different world. Before you were two giant ancient trees designed into an elegant gateway. The two trees reached up into the sky above, their thick branches, which were filled with leaves, made a sturdy archway into the forest. Their trunks also formed this archway. Likewise, these trunks had details more intricate than the cliff walls. Figures of peasants, nobility, kings, queens, and religious figure heads were etched into the trees. These figures stood on pillars, which had sharp pointed roofs. In the center of the arch rested a stunning gem, whose name was unknown to you. Beyond this otherworldly entrance lay tall trees devoid of leaves.

As you took your first step into the forest, a shrouded form appeared in the distance. It stood still, as an invisible wind blew its cloak in the wind. The hood over its head hid its face. Frozen in place, you waited to see what it would do. Giving one last glance towards you, it turned away and disappeared on the path beyond. Your mind kept screaming at you to turn back, but you pushed forward, entering the mysterious forest.

Though, you made very little progress when you heard giggling behind you. Before you could look behind you, a form appeared in front of you.

"I'm glad to see that you're keeping your end of the bargain, _____".

"What do you want?" you stated bitterly.

"Well I wanted to enjoy the show that's about to unfold before my very eyes. You didn't think I was going to stay in my castle and miss all the fun. You know how boring that would be, _____. Oh, how are the brothers holding up?".

Biting back your urge to stab her, you replied, "They don't concern you".

"I see that my doll is developing feelings for them; how delightful".

Ignoring her comment, you walked around the sunhat girl and went further into the forest.

"____, you may never admit to such a thing, but I can see it in your eyes. Remember I control the situation; you're only making it easier for me to break you and you know how much I love to break people".

A whoosh of wind whipped your hair forward and you knew she was gone from sight. However, she was viewing your progress from somewhere within the forest.

Pressing forward, you heard many strange sounds coming from the trees, but you had encountered nothing yet, except for that shrouded figure. With the fog in the forest only increasing, you reached into your backpack and grabbed the flashlight. Flicking the switch on the device, your path became clearer. You could see that the trees were becoming more compact, as their abundant presence made the path narrower. At one point you had to crawl on the path due to the tree branches overhead. Thankfully that did not last long.

Water soon hit your face, as thunder sounded in the distance. A storm was overhead, which only darkened the ominous forest. Pulling the hood on your jacket over your head, you stopped, as something moved in the trees next to you. Though, the movement stopped as soon as it began. Right as you were about to proceed forward, something rolled out of the trees. To your terror, it was a rotting head. However, the eyes rolled back and forth in the head until they halted their movement and landed on you. The mouth of the head opened up, as if to scream, but no sound escaped its lips.

When at last it closed its horrid mouth, trees began to sway back and forth, as branches in the distance snapped. Something was coming. You could run, or fight, but which would prove the better option? Squinting, you tried to decipher the form. Instead of one form, there were many. As they neared, you could tell that the creatures appeared bug-like. Furthermore, you knew you could not take them alone. Thus you ran for it, charging down the path, refusing to look back.

Suddenly you heard a loud buzzing sound behind you and knew that the creatures were not far behind. Millions of tiny legs ran after you, as knife-like teeth chattered with a hungry desire. In the distance you could once again see the shrouded figure. They stared at you before outstretching a gloved hand of theirs. You had two choices presented to you. One, take their hand or two, continue down the path and take your chances with the creatures behind you. You wouldn't be able to outrun the creatures for long, so you made your choice.

Now six paces from the figure, you jumped forward and grabbed their hand. Upon contact, the figure drew you to them, as the swarm of bug like creatures charged past. You noticed their jewel like bodies and beady red eyes that only sought killing. Horrendous hooked legs supported the creatures with each creature having ten of their own. As they passed, you looked up at the figure.

"Thank you for the help".

"I may have just saved you, but I may kill you yet".

Shocked at the figure's statement, you stared up at them, as their hooded head stared back.