Bargain of Death

Wood wrapped around your wrists, binding them together. Your daggers flew out of their sheaths and into the hands of the hooded figure. You tried to struggle out of the restraints, but they only grew tighter and the wood stronger. Looking back up at the hooded figure, you saw them disappearing into the trees. You didn't know whether to follow them or not, but you needed the binds off. However, they stated that they might kill you. While you were debating the pros and cons of each choice, you didn't notice that your feet were already moving after the cloaked figure.

It wasn't until you almost ran into a tree that you noticed your movement. Startled you attempted to turn around, but you couldn't. It was as if some invisible thread attached you to the hooded figure. Though, you caught no sight of them; your legs were just carrying you into a darker part of the forest. As the trees went by, you could see something in the distance. Ahead lay a huge boulder, which had a small entrance to a cave inside. White and turquoise roses covered the rock and glowed in an eerie light.

The invisible string guided you through the entrance, making you duck in order to not hit your head. Upon entering the cave, you saw a comfortable room. There was another cut out in the rock, which had a turquoise curtain covering it. It most likely led to a bathroom. As for the rest of the room there was a simple wooden bed, which had white sheets spread across it. Furthermore, white and turquoise roses wrapped themselves around the bedposts. On the other side of the room was a small kitchen and a square wooden table with four matching chairs. White cushions lay on top of the chairs.

In one of the chairs sat the hooded figure. However, you noticed that the cloak hung oddly at the chair, as if the figure had shorter legs or no legs at all. You were led to one of the chairs. Upon reaching a chair across from the hooded figure, the invisible thread broke.

"Sit" they said.

Not really seeing any other option, you sat down in the chair, waiting for them to say something more.

"So why do you want to kill me?" you asked simply.

"I don't want to kill you and I haven't decided whether you should live or die yet. Your answers to my questions will determine your fate".

"Well seeing as I'm restrained and have no weapons, ask away".

"First off, tell me how you know the sunhat girl?".

"She was a part of my music box. One day I wished to live in the world of the music box. That wish came true and she trapped me here. Over my time here, she has tormented me and now wants me to go to the Land of Amusement" you stated, thinking you might as well answer truthfully, since your life was on the line.

"So you're the girl she was talking about, the one to set her free. That's troublesome. Why did you agree to travel to her domain? What would cause you to make such a bargain?".

"Wait you've talked to her and what do you mean 'set her free'?".

"So you made the agreement without knowing its true meaning. That was a foolish mistake".

"You didn't answer my question. Why do you care so much about the sunhat girl and her agreement with me".

"Because I do not wish to see my sister ruin anymore lives".

Words escaped you, as you just stared in shock at the cloaked figure. She pulled her hood down, revealing a girl the same height as the sunhat girl. She had short hair, which was white on the left side while the right side was colored turquoise. Her eyes followed the same color pattern except the turquoise eye was on the left and vice versa. A simple black dress covered her figure, as her bare feet swung back and forth.

"Before I answer your first question please tell me why you agreed to enter her domain in the first place".

"I agreed to go to the Land of Amusement because otherwise two people would've been tortured for eternity. Furthermore, I owed those two my life. I had to make the choice then and there".

"So you agreed in order to save two others. I admire that, especially when you didn't know what you were agreeing to. Now to answer your first question. My sister has grown tired of this world and she intends to leave. However, such a thing is near impossible. She managed to enter your world through the music box, but she could only stay in the music box. This did not satisfy her. Though, how do you think she accomplished such a thing in the first place?".

You didn't really know if you wanted to hear this, but it was vital information to the task ahead of you.

"My sister hosted a tournament in her domain, claiming that the victor would be given power equal to her own. There was no victor; only sacrifices. These sacrifices were used to open the gateway to your world. However, she only ended up in a music box; forever observing your world, but never an active part of it".

"Wait, how did she end up in my music box though?".

"I don't know. That's something you need to ask my sister directly. However, the important part is that in order for my sister to enter your world completely she needs to make a sacrifice from that world. You happen to be that sacrifice. Now tell me what you plan to do once you reach the Land of Amusement".

Her statement rang in your ears. A sacrifice, no you wouldn't let that happen. Your mind seemed to only come to one conclusion.

"I intend to defeat her".

"I see, but how? Surely you noticed how powerful my sister is. I need to know if you can defeat her, for if you can't I must kill you here. She cannot be allowed to enter your world. If she does, more people will be turned into her puppets, her entertainment. There cannot be a future where you become a sacrifice. The risk is too great".

"Why do you care so much about another world?".

"I witnessed the atrocities that she committed in this world. She caused the villagers to become obsessed with power, which led them to forever haunt their own homes, being constantly reminded of their horrible decisions in life; forever tormented. She messed with minds of the original owners of the castle in the grasslands, making the household members kill each other in a maniac frenzy. Everything that went wrong in this world was the cause of my sister. She is a child meant only for destruction, meant only to satisfy her selfish desires. I wanted to stop her, but she is too strong for me. Now tell me how you intend to defeat her".

You honestly couldn't think of a way. Originally, you planned to just strike her at her weakest moment, but that no longer seemed an option. Your silence gave the sunhat girl's sister the answer she needed.

"I thought so. I'm sorry, but you leave me with the task of killing you myself".

Seeing the girl getting out of her chair sent a wave of realization through you. You needed to get out of your bonds and defend yourself. Quickly standing, you grabbed the chair as best you could and threw it at her. It seemed to be repelled by an invisible wall and was thrown back at you. Throwing yourself at the ground, you dodged the flying chair. The girl drew one of your own daggers and brought it down on you. Rolling out of the way just in time, you got back on your feet and headed for the kitchen area. Your fingers grabbed at the drawers, looking for something to cut your bonds and for a weapon. To your surprise there were no knives in any of the drawers, but you found a pair of scissors.

Just as you held the scissors in your hands, you felt a tug on your person. The unknown thread was once again attached to you. Her cloak was no longer on her, as her bare feet stood on the rocky floor. With no hesitation, you flipped the scissors around in your hands and cut at the wood. However, the wood was too thick for the scissors. You were now right next to the small child. A force sent the scissors flying out of your hands and across the room. In her right hand glittered one of your daggers. She brought you down on your knees, ready to plunge the dagger into your neck. With nothing to lose, you reached for the hand with the dagger. Your contact with the dagger sent the girl's aim off its original course. Instead it landed in your upper arm. A surge of pain went through your body, as you pushed the girl away from you.

The dagger remained in your arm, as the girl came at you again with the other dagger. There was nothing you could do, as you were held in place by the string. Thus you held your arms in front of your face. Seconds felt like an eternity, as blood dripped onto the rocky floor. However, the blade never made contact. It was mere inches from your face; it was stuck in your wooden restraints. This severed the restraints in half, freeing you from the bonds. Your hands flew at the girl's neck, as you tightened your grip on her.

Her eyes widened, as life escaped from her. The thread was no longer present; the girl was at her end. However, something inside you told you to stop. Maybe it was the calm look in the girl's eyes, or maybe it was because you saw the good in her action. She wanted to save millions, who she didn't even know, and you wanted to preserve just your life, which might end soon anyway. You didn't want to give up on life, but you couldn't bring yourself to kill the girl in front of you. As your hold relaxed, a smile found its way onto the girl's face.

"You have proven yourself, _____".

"Wait, what? You mean that was a test. I thought you wanted to kill me".

"I did, but you won over me even though you don't possess magic capabilities. Furthermore, you could've killed me just a few seconds ago, but you didn't. That mere action demonstrates that you have restraint over your emotions. You can keep your mind collected even in dire situations. That will help you survive against my sister. I don't know if you can win over her, yet something tells me to trust you. However, I will travel at your side just in case you do lose the battle. This is one time where I can stop my sister and I intend not to miss it. Along the journey please call me Fade".

She walked up to you, causing you to tense up. Instead of attacking you, she pulled the dagger out of your arm, setting it on the ground next to you. As she went over to the kitchen, your mind swirled in confusion. This child was just as frustrating as the sunhat girl. However, you knew that you had made the right decision in not killing her. You had gained an ally in your journey. Besides she could guide you through the forest. You would still remain weary around her, yet you knew that she would no longer attempt to kill you.

Coming back to you, she ripped off your jacket from you and began to clean and bandage the wound, which she had given you. Disappearing behind the turquoise cloth, she left you alone before quickly returning. In her hands was a black cloak similar to her own. She draped it over your shoulders and secured it around your neck.

"Well we should head out. We need to make the next train" she said, holding her hand out to you.

Taking it, she helped you up before grabbing her own cloak. With it around her shoulders, she headed out of the cave, waiting for you to follow. The child's actions still confused you; you couldn't wrap your head around it. Sighing, you followed after her. Once again, the world had destroyed logic.