Chapter 30

The room that the women take me to is fit for a queen. Lush green curtains cover the light sandstone walls, parting to allow for one large window overlooking yet another garden and for an inlet in the wall just wide enough for a luxurious bed. The pillows and sheets are golden, there is a white bench underneath the window, and a pair of cushioned seats occupy a corner. A small white vanity is found in the next corner, holding a circular mirror, a hairbrush, and a few specially handmade makeups. But the floor tiles are the best part of the room. Intricate, exotic flowers of every type are painted on each one, most of them matching the flowers in the palace's many gardens. Several burning candles dot the room and provide warm light.

"This can't be mine," I say, nearly speechless

"This can't be mine," I say, nearly speechless. One of the servant women nods to me as the other two go forward to prepare the room. I smile gratefully at her. "It's wonderful. Thank you." She raises her skirts daintily and curtsies for me.

"Shall we escort your knight to his room?" she asks. I glance at Alec beside me, staring silently at the floor. His hands are folded in front of him.

"If he wishes," I tell her. She curtsies to me again and looks expectantly at Alec. He watches her for a moment before glancing at me. The two of them leave through the doorway and take a right. I miss his presence immediately, wishing for him back, yet when he leaves I feel as if I can finally relax. I turn to the two remaining servants. "What are your names?" One of them has long, wavy golden hair while the other's is a slightly darker color and cropped short just above her ears, the hairline jagged. Their facial features are similar, soft yet distinctive, and their eyes are milky brown. Their hair and their eyes tell me that these women aren't from around here.

"I am Drina, my lady," the taller, long-haired one tells me, and dips into a curtsy. "And this is my younger sister Estelle." Her sister hesitates slightly before curtsying as well and I return the gesture. Drina beams at me while Estelle stares at the floor.