It's For the Best

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

Wakanda was a beautiful country, at least in Marlena's opinion it was. She enjoyed gazing out the facility windows and watching the animals roam through the trees of the jungle terrain; she enjoyed watching the rain fall against the windows of her temporary room; she enjoyed listening to species of birds she had never heard before chirp at night and in the morning. What she did not enjoy, however, was waiting to see Bucky.

After the confrontation between her, Steve, Bucky, and Tony, the three of them had taken off for the quinjet parked just outside of the Siberian facility, only to be met by T'Challa. He had apologized for his actions against Bucky and proceeded to offer the three care and a safe haven at one of his many medical facilities until they were able to figure out what their next step was. The Wakandan doctors began caring for the three of them the moment they walked through the doors, especially Bucky, and Marlena had been waiting on the chance to see him since.

Not only were the doctors preventing her from seeing Bucky because they didn't want her to further irritate her injuries, but the doctors were also still working on removing the jagged remnants of Bucky's arm. It was a long process, given the mechanisms of the arm, and Marlena was becoming very impatient. All she wanted was to see him and hold him and tell him that everything was going to be alright, but she couldn't, and she hated it; she hated being stuck in her room (which was much more lavish than she would've thought it to be for the equivalent to a hospital room) and she hated being drugged up on pain medications every other hour.

Marlena let out a sigh and pulled her white jacket over her chest in an attempt to ward off the cold. She sat back against her mattress and stared up at the flat screen television hanging on the wall in front of her, her mind drifting to the horrible events that had taken place the day before.

To say Marlena was upset was quite an understatement. She never would have expected something of the sort happening in the two years Marlena had known the Avengers and Bucky. They were a family that she (and Bucky) just so happened to be a part of, and seeing the way they were willing to fight each other broke her heart. She understood their reasonings, but she couldn't bring herself to care at all about the politics or the regulations behind them. In her eyes, families were supposed to stick together; they were supposed to fight for each other, not fight against each other.

The battle at the airport, however, was nothing compared to the fight that broke out between her, Steve, Bucky, and Tony. The fight between the four of them was brutal and a level of painful Marlena hadn't even known she could feel. Steve, Bucky, and Tony were without a doubt three of the most important men in her life, and watching them fight with each other had more of an affect on her than watching the team fight with one another. At the airport, they had actually cared about harming each other—they refrained from actually trying to cause too much damage—but in Siberia it was almost a fight to the death, and it would have been had Steve not destroyed Tony's arc reactor. Tony never would've stopped, and if that had been the case Bucky would have lost much more than just his arm. That was something Marlena couldn't bear to think about.