Chapter 3: Not Funny

Pulling the cold air into my lungs, I reached down and shaped a snowball out of the fresh snow that had fallen that morning. I'd woken up early, and decided to take a walk as soon as I saw the snow.

I chucked the tightly packed snowball at a tree, and it gave a satisfying thump as it exploded against the trunk. I quickly formed another and launched it after the first, but it missed the mark.

Sighing, I carefully packed snow into a perfect sphere. Throwing with all my might, I had to laugh at myself as this snowball also swung wide.

I screamed as something hit my back. Turning, I saw Namjoon, grinning, with snow on his hands.

"For old times' sake," he said.

I couldn't decide whether to be angry or not. My heart was still thumping furiously in my chest from the sudden fright.

He dusted his hands off and stuck them in his pockets. "You're up early."

I grumped, "So are you."

He nodded. "I hadn't gotten to sleep that early in a long time."

I had to smile at that. "Me neither." I also dried my hands on my coat and tucked them into my pockets.

He tipped his head toward the road. "On your way back?"

"Yes, actually."

He nodded and started walking. I followed him, looking at how far apart the tracks made by his long-legged steps were.

As we passed the hollow, he stopped.

"What?" I asked. He was looking at the spot where the snow naturally drifted exceptionally high in the ditch.

"Wasn't this the place that was really good for pushing someone into the snow?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said, then backed up as his head turned to me. "If you push me in–"

He laughed. "I won't." 

"You better not, if you value your life." 

He bent over, laughing hard. "Am I supposed to feel threatened by that?" 

I couldn't help but run at him and shove him while he was bent over. He fell into the snow pile, and I grinned. "Oh, sorry, I didn't see you there." 

He got a teasing look in his eye, and I took to my heels when he started struggling to stand up. 

"I'll get you back!" he yelled, and I knew he'd catch up quickly when he got out. 

"What, are you eight?" I called back. "The back-at-you attitude is so old!" 

I could hear his steps behind me, and looked over my shoulder to see him closing in. He reached forward and stopped me. "Seriously, Chunhwa, this was the only coat I packed!" 

"Aw, is Namjoonie cold?" I said, putting a baby tone into it. His face changed and he let go, and we continued walking.

"Oh, shut up." 

"Aw, does Namjoonie want my coat?" 

He stopped me again. "There are other ways to warm me up," he said with a perverted smile. 

I punched him in the arm. "Yah! That's not funny, Kim Namjoon." 

He groaned. "You got stronger since I left." 

I grinned. "Yes I did, and you better remember that." 

*

Namjoon looked at Chunhwa as they walked back. He'd been less than pleased when his parents had announced last night's dinner plans, since he'd wanted to spend time with his actual family. But he'd had a good time.