٢١: WRAITH

They reconvened in the safety of Ziara's apartment.

      Isfet, Anuka and Nathanial learned nothing new from Carn at the markets, nor did he show any sign of the Forbidden Art. He sat in the armchair, muttering softly to himself with a vacant expression. He hadn't spoken since the morning and it unsettled Wraith somewhat, as if he were biding his time.

      "The Water of Truth seems to be our only other option," Isfet produced a scroll from his pocket and pressed it between his palms. "I've never heard the name Abraxas, his fables probably died out before our time but the idea of Ungifted channelled hekka perplexes me. Who knew they were capable of emulating our strength?"

      The papyrus disintegrated and the granules of sand created a swirling vortex at his feet. Isfet gestured for the Children to jump. Elijah squeezed Lacy's hand tight and closed his eyes in the void, Nathanial cradled Ibu and whooped with excitement before Anuka shoved Carn in, diving in straight after. Wraith nodded for Isfet to take his leave, wanting to utilise the last few moments with Ziara whilst they still had privacy.

      She'd changed from her business attire into another pair of patterned cotton shorts and a white shirt which she'd tied with a hair elastic at the front to expose a sliver of muscle. She'd been quiet since leaving the museum—Wraith presumed she was in a state of shock after learning Mariette was a Son of Horus.

      He extended his arm to her, "Your new beginning starts now as the Head Daughter of Sekhmet. . .there is nothing to tie you to Luxor anymore. I promise you; we will find your father."

      She gave him a small smile but even he could tell it was half hearted. She ran her fingers down his exposed forearm but did not take hold of his hand. He frowned slightly when she turned her back on him and stepped into the portal.

      The fall wasn't as bad as last time. Wraith prepared himself to hit the ground, but instead was greeted with the intrusive prickle of pine needles. He'd landed on the canopy of a palm—the closest forest was a few kilometres from the Cynopolis, that was comforting to know at least Isfet got the destination somewhat right.

      Wraith ruffled the barbs from the nape of his neck and hair and rolled onto his side to glance at the rest of the group which had fallen into the dense marsh.

      A splash echoed, indicating that a body fell into the shallow cusp of the Nile. Anuka rose with a gasp and pulled Carn by the neck of his shirt. The Head Son of Horus spat out algae and discarded plastic as Anuka used him as a shield to part the papyri fronds by the bank, "Can I drown him yet?"

      "No!" yelled the prophetess. "I want to do it."

      Lacy and Elijah were already standing and in the process of brushing off the mud and algae from their clothes. Nathanial and Ibu were already starting to walk in the direction of the temple with Isfet.

      There was an echo like a gun shot and Ziara came down, her hair flapping wildly around her. Unlike the others, she opened her eyes before impact and barrel rolled to the ground avoiding all of the muck.

       Wraith slid from the palm and landed on his haunches. His lips turned down as the sky faded into darkness. There was no way they'd be able to search for Harry Massit at this time, even if they extracted the information from Carn immediately it was too dangerous to travel at night unprepared.

       "North," Wraith jerked his chin in Nathanial's direction. "Shouldn't take too long."

      They walked at an Ungifted pace, exhausted and fed up. Carn continued his blessed silence as Anuka pushed him through the brush and mud, not caring if he stumbled or tripped. Lacy and Elijah caught up to Isfet and discussed the prophecy while Nathanial threw a stick for Ibu to fetch and bring back.