Chapter 23

The clouds were lashing heavily. The winds blew harshly. The rain was speeding by the minute flooding the low grounds. There were darkness and murkiness spreading through Dublin. It seemed nature was weeping of the turn of the events. The thick grey clouds hovered over the ancient Celtic city obstructing any kind of warmth and sunshine.

Adil Siddiqui was incognizant of the dreadful, dull and cold weather. Rather his wrinkled dark eyes under the grey thick eyebrows pierced through the young woman and the baby in question. He had quietly listened to his eldest son's narration of the past. His jaw muscles tensed. How could his blood make the same mistake again? Falling in love with a white woman. But he had expected this long time back all because of bringing a white woman in the family. The mistake his son had made more than thirty years ago had destroyed the upcoming generations. He loathed that woman to cast her spell on his innocent son but most of all he despised that his son didn't obey his command.

Daud Siddiqui had proven he was his father's son. But this time, the sin was severe. Daud had gone far in impregnating a woman and abandoning her and the child. It was time to take action once and for all. He would not be opposing this union instead initiating it for the sake of the child.

The grip on Adil's cane strengthened and he rose to his feet. His penetrating eyes shifted at the different people sitting in the living room. Ibrahim and Muhammad were both seated on the single sofa, while Chloe, Susan and Seema were settled on the large three seater sofa. Daud was standing by the window and blindly gazing out at the rain. Salman stood on the other side of the room quietly observing the scene unfolding in front of him.

"Seema go call your sister and tell her to come here with her husband this instance. Nawal's parents should know about this. Then and only then the decision will be made." Adil demanded in his authoritative voice.

Seema nodded and rushed off to make the call.

With contempt, he glanced at the baby in the young woman's arms, "Is the child even Muslim?"

Daud clenched his jaw and bit out, "Yes he is. He is named Yousef Siddique."

Adil glared at his eldest grandson, "You better not show your fury at me, boy. This is the result of your own sins. And it is time you are accountable of those sins."

Daud's hands on his sides curled into fists hard until the veins on the back of his hands were easily visible. He stepped forward to retaliate but when his gaze flicked to his mother, he stilled. She had fear in her eyes and she slightly shook her head, silently communicating with her son. He heaved heavily and instead walked out of the room to the backyard to smoke. This was giving him immense stress. His head was throbbing, standing at the covered part of the backyard he puffed smoke in the rain.

His mind was reeling through all the different options. His eyes lifted to the darkened heavens.

"Ya Allah help me."

Just as his eyelids lowered a realization hit him.

There was a solution and his religion provided the answers he had been pursuing.

****

"Baji, you and bhai need to come here fast. There is some shocking news about Daud," Seema whispered on the phone.

"What do you mean?" Ghazala asked as she was taking out Nawal's wedding dress out of her closet.

"He is not what he seems."

Ghazala's eyebrows knotted, "What?"

"Just come here fast." Seema said breathlessly.

"Fine fine. I will be there in a few minutes." Ghazala muttered.