The Aisle

I groaned, "Of course you are."

"Yeah, it wasn't my first choice either." he said.

I was tempted to beg him to stay, but I knew it wouldn't make a difference.

He kissed me on the hand, and then on the cheek, and then on the lips.

"You're going to run out of places if you keep going." I laughed.

He looked up at me, eyebrow lifted, "That's what you think."

I couldn't help but burt with laughter at his bluntness. It was so unlike him. Actually, it was very unlike him.

Randalls words ran through my mind again.

He bagan to walk away but I grabbed him by the arm.

"So, you feel alright, don't you?" The question came out clunky. It wasn't what I'd really wanted to ask, but my real question would be even harder to phrase.

He laughed, "Well I mean, I've been better. But right now I'm doing pretty good."

"Yeah, I know," I stared into his eyes, but they were bright, blue, and human, "I was just wondering, you know, it doesn't matter, you should go."

he looked a bit concerned by my rambling, but he only kissed me again lightly and left.

I chewed on the inside of my cheek. It was him. I knew it was. But what was he?

He was such a strange person already, but it was begining to be hard to tell if he was just growing as a person, or just not a person at all.

It didn't feel worthwhile to try and sit down again so I just paced around the room. I was tempted to mess around with my hair and makeup, but I didn't want to ruin all the work the stylists had put into it. Especially now that my eyes seemed to have brightened and my whole face had lifted, I looked like a whole other person.

After a few minutes of uncomfortable silence, there was another knock at the door.

I whirled around but had to hide my disappointment when I saw my dad standing there.

"You ready, kiddo?" he asked.

I was impressed by how good he looked. My dad wasn't really known as a snappy dresser of any sorts, but it worked well for him.

"Yeah," I had to hold in the hesitancy in my voice. I'd almost forgotten that I had a charade to keep up with.

I followed him out of the door and through the now abandon larger room. I'd never been in this building before, so I was clueless as we walked through rooms and hallways. I didn't even know we were getting close until I heard this mysterious low hum of noise.

We turned a corner and I saw my mother and sister standing with a bunch men. I had to hold in a laugh when I realized my sister had no idea she was standing next to the homeless man she'd beaten with her backpack only a few months ago. Mostly because she was flirting with him.

He smiled awkwardly at me as she touched him on the arm.

I had to hand it to my sister, she didn't mess around. He politely excused himself from their conversation and made his way over to me.

For a second I thought he was going I kiss me, which would have been a bit blasé for that particular time and place, but I wouldn't have complained.

Instead, he leaned down casually and whispered, "You really do look beautiful."

I snorted, "Doesn't really fix anything."

"Everything's going to be okay," he straightened up, "I promise."