CXIX - Lesson One

GUYS YOU NEED TO TELL ME IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE FINALE THAT JUST FINISHED LITERALLY 10 MINUTES AGO BECAUSE JESUS CHRIST I NEED TO FANGIRL

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE

ALSO OH MY GOD I HAVE SO MANY IDEAS NOW YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY

____________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter One Hundred & Nineteen

When the sun had set, we both decided we needed to take care of this sooner rather than later. The wolves were nocturnal, at least, that's what the hunters believed. Therefore, they would go after them in the dead of night. They would be in the bayou at that very moment, and we would get rid of them while we had the opportunity to do so.

Elijah pulled out his phone, dialing the familiar number and putting the phone on speaker, even though he knew I would be able to hear him perfectly.

"Hello?" Freya said from the other end of the line.

"Did I misinterpret the kind of exhibition you're attending?" Elijah asked, a little bewildered while I just smirked.

"I switched venues," she said, and I could practically see the smile on her face. "Aren't you two the ones that said I deserved the night off?"

"Forgive me," Elijah said, sighing. "Someone needs to watch Hope. Roseia and I have an errand to run."

"How ominous," she said. "What errand?"

Elijah swallowed, frowning a little. "A necessary evil," he said, reaching down to smooth Hope's hair and smile a little at her before going back to his previously serious tone. "I would rather my niece not bear witness."

"Fair enough," Freya said. "Give me a minute. I have an idea."

We stayed on the porch, and only a few minutes later, Freya suddenly appeared in front of us. It appeared that she had somehow teleported there.

"Thank you, Freya," I said to her, then we both nodded to each other and ran off.

We stopped running when we believed we had gotten far enough, and a glint on the forest floor caught my eye. I let out a grunt of frustration, then walked to what appeared to be a steel trap. I reached down and grabbed it, breaking it to in two. Like I had hoped, the noise drew the other hunters to us. One of them was soon right behind me, a gun raised to be pointed at my back.

"What the hell are you doing?" he asked, angry with us.

"Now now, a gentleman does not point his gun at a lady," Elijah said curtly, adjusting his suit jacket.

The man lowered his gun a little, narrowing his eyes at us.

"Oh my goodness, where are my manners? Permit me to explain," Elijah said, the corners of his lips tugging upwards into a half smile before he sped towards the hunter.

Elijah disarmed the man of his gun, then threw him back to the ground. When another hunter came at him, I sped to Elijah and grabbed the gun of the man before throwing it like a javelin at the other hunter. The barrel of the gun went straight through his chest, and the hunter let out a strangled gasp before falling to the his knees and then down on his chest. The first hunter started to crawl away, but Elijah easily caught up to him and pulled him back up the collar of his shirt.

"Lesson one of the hunt," Elijah said, grabbing the man in a choke-hold and holding him high in the air. "Lay the bait."

Elijah took a split second to look on the ground, seeing yet another trap. He threw the hunter to the forest floor, making the hunter's foot land into another one of their steel-jawed traps so that it clamped down onto his ankle and almost dug to the bone.

Elijah adjusted the cuffs of his dress shirt, and it was only then that we saw the three lasers. One on me, and two on him. We both looked up to see three more hunters approaching us with their guns raised, and I grinned.

"How precious," Elijah said from beside me. "Just in time for lesson two."

Only a few minutes later, I was pouting at Elijah.

"This is definitely not fair."

"What is not fair?" he chuckled.

"You never get any blood on you whatsoever, while I look like I just got sprayed by the stuff. Not fair. Not fair at all," I sighed, shaking my head.

"Well, the night has yet to end. Our job is not yet finished, my dear Roseia," he said, and we continued to walk in the direction of yet another sound.

"Perhaps you'll get a few stains on you yet," I smirked.

Yes, we were teasing each other, and acting as if this was all a joke, but... Inside, we were both terrified. I knew I was, and I could feel it with him too.

I was afraid that they had already gotten to her. That we would get to one of the trucks and her body would be on the flatbed.

But Hayley was strong. Very, very strong. She wouldn't let one simple bullet knock her down.

It wasn't long before we found another group of hunters. Once we killed a few, there was only one left, and he was now stumbling quickly through the woods in a feeble attempt to save his own life. However, luck was not on his side, as he tripped and fell. He looked around and saw the bodies of his fellow hunters, then immediately started to run again. Unfortunately, he ran right into Elijah.

"You will provide me with the precise location of every last one of those vulgar traps, as well as the routes used by any of your other men."

"I-I don't know-" the hunter said, trying to back away from us.

He was cut off by a naked, thin, brown-haired woman appearing and lunging for him. She tackled him to the ground and fought him for a few moments, until he was either knocked out or dead. Both of us were stunned to see her, and a small bit of hope rose in me.

"Hayley?" I asked.

The woman turned to us, and I felt my heart drop when I saw that it wasn't her. It was one of the wolves, though. She was from Hayley's pack.

She stared at us blankly, and we looked in her eye. I contemplated handing her my jacket, but she had made it clear that she was perfectly comfortable the way she was.

"I'm sorry... We thought-"

"I know who you thought I was," the woman said, standing up straight.

"Do you know where she is?" Elijah asked with a worried tone.

"Judging by what these hunters did..." The woman said, swallowing. "The traps they set, the blood I saw? If she's not with her daughter, she's probably dead."

I was horrified, and swallowed nervously. Elijah had the same reaction.

We both thanked her, and she ran off. I couldn't hear any more hunters in the area right now, so they were probably done for the night. We went back to the truck of the second group of hunters, the ones we had seen after leaving the river house.

I looked to Elijah nervously, biting my lip a little before I went to the flatbed of the truck and confronted my worst fear. The bodies were covered by a tarp, which I ripped away.

And to our relief, she was not among the dead bodies.

I couldn't sense her in the bayou, and as far as I could tell, she hadn't been killed by the hunters.

So where the hell was she?