Chapter 21: The End of Ultron

*WARNING: Contains 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' spoilers!

This wasn't the first time that I'd mentally prepared myself to die. When I was first kidnapped, I thought that death was the only possible thing. And I wanted it. I wanted anything but to be Frollo's prisoner. This was different. For once, I felt like I'd found my place in the world, and I was happy. I had friends, I had a boyfriend, death was the furthest thing from my mind. And I wasn't prepared for it.

"I'm glad you guys are enjoying the view," I heard through the ear piece. It sounded like Fury. I walked back to where Steve and Nat were standing. "It's about to get better!"

All of a sudden, we saw a Helicarrier making its way through the sky.

"Fury, you son of a bitch!" Steve said with a smile on his face, making Nat and I laugh. As he said this, lifeboats began flying towards us. We would be able to get the people of Sokovia, and ourselves, to safety.

"This is SHIELD?" Pietro asked us. I hadn't even realised that he was standing near us.

"This is what SHIELD is supposed to be," Steve answered him, smiling at me before running to help some civilians into the boats.

I followed him, a smile still plastered on my face. No matter what we thought about SHIELD, they had come through for us.

I helped Steve, Nat and Hawkeye get more civilians onto the lifeboats, trying to reassure people that yes, we knew what we were doing, and no, they were not going to die.

"Avengers, we need to protect the core. Time to work for a living!" Stark said.

"Let's go!" I said, running towards Thor and the Vision, who were protecting the core from Ultron and the rest of his drones. We stood around it in a circle, ready to protect it at whatever cost.

"This is the drill," Stark said, joining us. "If Ultron gets his hands on the core, we lose."

Ultron then stood in front of us. He raised his arm and summoned his legion of robots to attack. We each took on a small group - everyone using their powers or specialist skills to defeat as many as possible. We all had our individual skills and that's what made us a great team - we each had an area of expertise.

As we got to the last few, Hulk scared them off and they flew in the opposite direction.

"We can't let them leave," Stark said. "Rhodey!" he called. I was pleased to see the familiar figure breeze through the air, joining Vision in stopping the drones.

"Get to the boats!" Steve said to everyone who couldn't fly. "I'll stay behind, sweep for stragglers."

"Be careful!" I warned him, making my way to the boats.

"Costel!" a woman called in distress.

"Is something wrong?" I asked her, Hawkeye standing with me.

"We were in the market," she said. Hawkeye and I looked at each other.

"Stay here, I'll find him!" he said, leaving me on edge. I followed him with my eyes, comforting the distressed mother that I was standing with. As we waited, I noticed a jet flying through the air, stopping where Hawkeye was saving her son.

"No!" I shouted, getting off the boat and running towards them. Steve saw what I was doing and stopped me, wrapping his arms around me. "Let me go!" I screamed, trying to fight against him.

"You'll get killed!" he said.

"I don't care!" I shouted, attracting the attention of Pietro. He followed my eye line and, in seconds, was where I wanted to be, saving Hawkeye. The shooting stopped and he fell to the ground, his back spotted with gunshot wounds. I stopped fighting against Steve and buried my head in his chest. I hadn't known him that long, but whatever pain I was feeling, Wanda would have been feeling a thousand times worse. She had lost the most important person in her life - her twin and best friend.

I let Steve drag me back onto the boat, sitting down as soon as I could.

"Where's Wanda?" I asked Steve.

"She knows what she's doing. Are you gonna be OK?" he asked, looking worried.

"I'm fine," I said, not being entirely truthful. I would be OK if the rest of the team were OK. Nothing else mattered. As Hawkeye brought Costel and Pietro's body onto the lifeboat, it began to move, going back to Avengers Tower - leaving Sokovia behind. I closed my eyes, and prayed that when I opened them, we would all be safe.

***

I saw Fury standing by a window. We had all made it back in one piece.

"Hey," he said, noticing me.

"Did you know this would happen?" I asked him curiously.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"When you told me that the Avengers needed me, did you know that it would be so..." I trailed off, not able to find the words.

"I knew that they needed you. I've got a great team," he said.

"You sure do," I responded, hugging him. "Thank you," I mumbled.

He didn't need to ask what for. He knew. "It's my job," he said, echoing my earlier words to Stark. I looked outside and saw Stark, Steve and Thor walking across the grass, before Thor raised his hammer and went back to Asgard.

I joined them on the grass with a smile.

"So what do you think, Rogue? Want to come with me and live the simple life?" Stark asked, spotting me as we reached his car. He wanted a break from the Avengers. He had bought a place where he would continue to work on his suits and live without the fear of having to save the world.

I smiled at him. "I'm an Avenger," I said. "The simple life isn't for me." I kissed him, wrapping my arms around him.

"You know there's always space for you at my new place..." he reminded me. I nodded.

"Yeah, I know. And I'll be over all the time for sleepovers..." I trailed off with a flirty look as he kissed me again and got into his car, driving away quickly.

Steve and I smiled at each other, before walking back into the tower, and into Nat.

"Are you two done gazing into Tony's eyes?" she asked with a smirk.

"How do we look?" I ignored her.

"We've got some hitters," she said, opening her tablet and passing it to me, showing me pictures of the 'new Avengers'.

"They're good," Steve said, looking over my shoulder. "They're not a team."

"Let's beat them into shape," I said, opening a door.

Rhodey was standing in his War Machine suit. Falcon flew in, as Vision and Wanda joined us. All in their suits, all ready to fight.

Nat and I, stood on either side of Steve, winked at each other.

"Avengers..." Steve started, looking at them.

We were ready. We were the Avengers.

****************************************

Thanks so much for reading! And thanks for 5.2k views, I've got over 1,000 in the past week, which is amazing!

So, Ultron's been defeated and the new avengers have been recruited... what will happen next? Find out next Saturday!

What did you think of this chapter? Vote and comment below your thoughts!