Chapter Two

Chapter Two

      “Julia?! Oh. My. GOD!” Taylor screamed. “I cannot believe you’re, like, back! This is so great! You look, like, so amazing!”

      “It’s Jules now, and, uh, thanks,” I said. In any normal circumstance, I would have replied back with a compliment to counter hers, but didn’t feel the need to voice anything false and lie in regards to her appearance.

      Taylor had never been the classiest girl in the world, and, seeing her now, really showed how taste (or a lack of) can truly escalate with age. Her trashy, discolored blonde hair looked, well, trashy and discolored. She wore a shirt that was pulled down way too low, and, though I wasn’t the biggest fan of the term, she looked slutty. I couldn’t believe I was ever friends with her. Scratch that—best friends. I was so unaware—so naïve.

      “Jules? Whatever. Your hair is, like, so different! You look so…” she scanned over my being, searching for the correct terminology.

      “Hot?” Aiden filled in with a guess

      “Exactly!” Taylor snapped her fingers, clearly having found the word. “So, Julia, how were the California boys?” 

      “I don’t know,” I responded, my mind a hive of commotion. I was doing the one thing I promised I wouldn’t when coming back: communicating with Taylor Kennings.

      “Oh, come on! Dish! I want to hear about all the hotties you saw out there!” she blabbered on.

      “They’re boys. Same as here. Just boys,” I sighed, thinking of Josh once again. Somehow he always managed to be floating through my mind constantly.

      “How many did you make out with? I know in seventh grade we were keeping score! I think I may have you beat by now!” she said. At this, I covered my mouth to keep from laughing at the memory. We used to keep score on how many guys we kissed. It was pathetic, really. Though I kept myself from laughing, Chase most certainly did not and started cracking up.

      “I don’t know. I didn’t really… hook up a lot,” I finally said, recomposing my mentality fully.

      “It’s L.A.! How did you not hook up with all the hot surfer dudes there?” she gasped.

      “She was clearly waiting for me to be her knight in shining armor and sweep her off her feet,” Chase said, sending a corny wink my way.

      “Yeah, that’s why,” I snorted. I had absolutely no interest in Taylor finding out about Josh, nor anyone, for that matter.

      “Oh, I get it! It was some insane number, so you’re embarrassed to share!” she nodded, as if figuring me out like jigsaw puzzle.

      “I don’t keep track anymore,” I said evenly, wondering if conversing with Taylor would earn me a heart attack or a gold star for being a good sport.

      “Hi, are you Julia?” a lady with untamed, darkened hair asked. She couldn’t have been much older than Adam, but had a presence about her that made me think otherwise.

      “Yeah,” I said.

      “I’m Ms. Hennings, but you can call me Ms. H.,” she smiled down at me warmly.

      “You can call me Jules,” I returned the kind gesture, though it was somewhat forced.

      “So, you’re with Taylor for the day?” she questioned, dubiously glancing over to the blonde girl.