Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Play practice was just as boring as Miren could have predicted. And today was no different. The only exciting thing was literally watching paint dry on one of the sets as they replayed the overture.

Only two and a half more weeks, she attempted to assure herself as Mr. Gales and Ms. Havarti, the musical teacher from Rosemunde, conducted them. There were about twenty students between her and Jeno, most of which seemed to actually be enjoying themselves. And although the composition wasn't difficult, she couldn't soak up their positivity. Even Jeno seemed to be in a better mood than her.

Her eyes flickered to the set, where Theodora was painting something that resembled a skyline. Every time she came to the edge of the stage for more paint, she smiled in Miren's direction. But she knew Theodora's kissy faces were directed toward her boyfriend. And since he could apparently play the violin in his sleep, he humored her with similar expressions. All while Miren fought the urge to puke.

By the grace of God, Mr. Gales told them that they'd be wrapping up for the day. She checked her watch—it was just nearing six, but it was already dark outside.

"Great job!" Theodora said as she took an empty seat next to Jeno. "At this rate, we might have a musical to be proud of." She shook her head. "I can't believe we did the Seussical last year."

"Didn't you still win an award for set design?" Jeno mused as she watched her brighten up.

"That's why we have to be even better this year." She picked up a box of acrylic paint. "Set and tech will probably be here for another hour. I still have to do prop inventory." She shooed them away. "You guys go. Have lives for the rest of us."

"Nonsense," Jeno said, taking the box from her. "I'll stay. I need to drive you back to campus, it's supposed to snow tonight."

"If you insist." She shrugged, but her brown eyes were gleaming. "See you later, Miles!"

"Bye." Miren waved as the two of them delved further into the stage. She felt a pinch of abandonment, but ignored it as she left. She told Jeno she had a report due for English tomorrow. That's why he didn't encourage her to tag along, right?

Either way, he was mostly staying to get the interworking's of the auditorium. At least, she hoped so. Although the musical was to be performed at the Jasper Theater at Rinzen, the building was practically sealed off to non-play members. Even Wallace had to accept a gig in the control booth to weed off suspicion.

And although part of her was scared that despite how careful they were being, that proximity would be the first thing to expose them, she was realizing that people couldn't see what was right under their nose.

***

Miles' words had confirmed Parker's worst suspicion—that Artemis was somehow involved with the stunt.

But the idea of the prim and proper homecoming queen that was Artemis El-Amin putting a sex tape on display for the world didn't seem possible. Wouldn't that go against everything she preached about tolerance and humility? He understood her beef with Penelope—he had one with her too. But that didn't explain why she would drag him under the bus with her. No. She was smarter than that. She was better than that.

"You could at least pretend to look like you're having fun. I had to leave play practice early for this." Penelope pursed her lips as the walked the upper level of Gloveria Mall. But something snapped inside her when he didn't respond. "You brought me here, remember?" Parker turned to her, his expression softening.