A New Friend

★ ★ ★

★ ★ ★

The birds chirped loudly outside of Marlena's bedroom window, annoying her slightly. She pulled her comforter further onto her head as if to block out the sound of the pesky animals. When she first arrived at Clint's, she had loved listening to the birds rather than listening to cars, trucks, and obnoxious air horns. But now that she was trying to sleep, she couldn't stand them. She swore they did it just to anger her, and if that was the case then it was definitely working.

After several more minutes of listening to the obnoxious birds "sing," her bedroom door opened. She remained face down on her mattress, not bothering to look up and see who it was making their way into her room. She figured it was Clint, as she could just barely hear his thoughts. Her abilities were slowly beginning to make an appearance again, and that was both annoying yet beneficial for Marlena.

"Rise and shine, cupcake," Clint's oddly cheerful voice sounded.

Marlena groaned and pulled her comforter tighter over her head, not at all ready to get up. She wasn't sure what time it was, but she didn't care. "Go away, Clinton," she muttered into her mattress.

Clint chuckled and walked over to her, pulling the blanket off of her body. "Is that any way to speak to your temporary dad?"

"I'm twenty-one, Clint," Marlena said as she craned her head up to look at him.

"Yeah, but if you switch around the number orders you're actually twelve, so get the hell up, young lady," Clint exclaimed as he attempted to act the part of her parental figure. "I have a job for you today."

Marlena sat up and looked at Clint, her eyebrows furrowing when she took in his attire. He looked as if he was about to enter some sort of fishing tournament, which was a major transition from his Avengers attire. "What are you wearing, Clint?"

He chuckled and crossed his arms over his chest. "A fishing vest, my dear. Laura and I are taking Cooper and Lila fishing up at the lakehouse, and we need you to watch Nathaniel for us while we're gone."

"I'm only saying yes because I love that little stinker and Wanda will be here to help me," Marlena responded as she pushed herself off of her bed.

"About that. . ." Clint trailed off, scratching the back of his head awkwardly. "Wanda will be going with us, so I'm afraid that you're on your own for the day. Sorry, kiddo."

Marlena scoffed and shook her head, moving towards her dresser to grab some clothes to wear for the day. "Wanda fishing? That's something I'd never thought I'd ever see."

"Me either," Clint chuckled. "But it intrigued her, so I decided just to let her go."

Marlena pulled out one of her old flannels, as well as a pair of leggings before turning back to Clint. "What time are you guys leaving?"