Ch. 6 - Artificial Food Fight

"How do I look?"

"Addison, you look the same as you did five minutes ago when you asked me the same question," I say, handing Ethan his chicken soup for lunch.

She huffs and runs her fingers through her hair. "I don't want to look like I'm trying too hard, you know? I have to play it cool. I have to act like.. like.."

"Like he's just coming over to drop off your phone?" I suggest.

"It's a big deal, Ivy. I don't see why you don't understand this," Addison sighs.

When the doorbell rings, she screams and sprints out of the kitchen to answer it. "Oh. It's you." Disappointment is evident in her voice.

Flynn McClean walks into the kitchen with an upset Addison right behind him. "Hello, Kennedy family. Hi, Ivy."

"Hey."

"Elliott's not here," Addison tells him, her glare strong and heavy. "Why are you?"

"He told me to meet him here at one," he says and checks his watch. "I decided to be a little fashionably early."

"Elliott has class until two," I inform him with an apologetic smile. "I think he planned on being fashionably late."

"That little bitch," Flynn mutters under his breath, loud enough for me to hear. "I would've had time to watch another episode of Fear Factor."

Addison huffs. "Well, we're waiting for someone else and you got all of our hopes up for no reason, so I kind of want to put you in a box of tarantulas right about now!"

"Oh."

"Don't take it personally, man," Jonas says. "Ad told me I looked like a fat teletubby when I mentioned us going out to eat lunch."

Flynn nods, his eyebrows scrunched together. "Who are we waiting for?"

"Addison's crush," I answer, smiling at the girl who looks about as angry and nervous as a kindergartener on the first day of school. "Mike."

"Mike," Flynn repeats with a smirk. "He sounds hot."

"Shut up," Addison mutters, staring at her reflection in a spoon.

Jonas laughs and places his plate in the sink before heading towards the backdoor.

"Hey, where are you going?" I ask.

He looks back at me and shrugs. "I'm playing soccer with some kids at the park."

"I can drive you. It looks like it's about to rain," I say. "And you never know what creeps could be lurking out there in hopes of finding a fat teletubby of their own."

Not amused at my joke, Jonas declines my offer with a straight face before leaving. I sigh at my failed attempt. Since the spat yesterday, he hasn't spoken to me much. I guess I'll just have to give him more space before I can find out what changed with him in a day. I have a small hunch that it could've had something to do with the fight he got into.

"Ivy, we want to go to the park," Crystal says.

"Park!" Ethan cheers, clapping his hands together in excitement.

I nod. "As long as the weather holds up, we can go in an hour. I have to finish cleaning up lunch. You guys go play upstairs for a bit, yeah?"