Alone

Two years.

Two years of Owen Grady being with the Raptors. He has been raising them since they hatched. Blue, Charlie, Echo and Delta. Those were his girls.

Owen was their Alpha, but their relationship was based on respect. He understood them, and didn't treat them as monsters, but as misunderstood wild animals.

Night fell and Owen was watching the girls. Barry had gone home for the day so he was alone for the most part. The Raptors were chirping and cooing at each other.

Until a small cry came from inside the paddock, making Owen's heart stop.

It was a little girl, curled up in the corner. Charlie was the first to notice. She ran over to the child and her sisters followed.

Owen ran to the gate, one of the helpers came over as they all were trying to help.

The little girl looked up to the dinosaurs. Blue, the Beta, had gotten very close. The girl whimpered, due to the unknown of everything around her.

Owen got to the gate, and before he opened it, he was shocked at what he saw.

Blue was snuggling her muzzle in the little girl to calm her down. The other three laid there to give her comfort.

"Blue." Owen called as he stepped through the gate. The raptors stood up and blocked the girl from Owen. They were protecting her. "I'm gonna take care of her, but I need to see her."

Blue looked from the girl to Owen. Owen stepped forward slightly. Echo, Charlie and Delta stepped forward, while Blue looked at the crying child.

"Let me look at her, I promise I will bring her back." Owen said, trying to reason with the Raptor. Workers had their phones out to film what was going on. Barry was on his way after someone called him, and Mr. Masrasi and Claire Dearing were close behind.

When everyone arrived, it was dead silent. They couldn't believe their eyes.

Blue picked up the child by the collar, and brought her over to their Alpha, Owen. Owen took the crying child and nodded at Blue. Blue calling to her sisters and ran away. Owen took the child out of the paddock and quickly locked the gate. Claire, Barry and Mr. Masrasi quickly ran over to Owen and the child.

"Shhh, its okay. I got you now, you're safe." Owen said softly. The child hid her face into his chest, not allowing anyone to see. Owen felt the tears of his shirt.

"Sweetie let me look and see if you are hurt." Claire said softly. Claire's fingertips brushed against the little girl arm. The girl flinched and shoved her face deeper into Owen's chest. Barry pushed in front.

 Barry pushed in front

"Stop. Leave her be." Barry ordered. Claire was about to snap at him, but Mr. Masrasi placed a hand on her shoulder to stop her. Barry pushed his hand down to tell Owen to go on his knees. Owen didn't understand why, but he listened to his friend. Owen went on his knees and Barry followed his movements.

Barry slowly placed his warms hands on her little body. The child began to sob harder and shake.

"Shh, Mdogo." (Little One) Barry cooed. "Can I see your smile?"

The girl shook her head.

"Can my friend Owen see it?" Barry asked. "He loves smiles."

The little girl didn't do anything, both men waited for her. The girl slowly revealed her face, and Owen face hardened at the sight.

 The girl slowly revealed her face, and Owen face hardened at the sight

The little girl's left eye was surrounded by a purple bruise. Her lips was crack and her face was sunk in. The girl looked like she hadn't eaten in a long time. The sight of this girl made him angry. How could someone do this to a child?

"Oh My God!" Claire gasped as she saw the child. The girl quickly buried her head back into Owen's chest. "Did those things do that?" Claire asked, referring to the Raptors.

"No." Owen snaps. "This was from a day or two ago. And did you not see them with her? They protected her."

"How did she get in there in the first place?" Mr. Masrasi asked.

"I'll check the tapes." Barry Offered.

"What are we going to do with her?" Claire asked, clearly irritated. Owen looked at the girl in his arms and took a deep breath.

"I'll take her." He said. Everyone looked at the Raptor trainer with wide eyes.

"Its a good Idea. She already is attached to him." Barry said, backing his friend up.

"You can handle children?" Claire Questioned.

"I can." He growled. He looked down at the little girl who was terrified of everything around her. Her dirty blonde hair covered her tiny body. An oversized t-shirt clung to her body. It was almost like a dress on her. "You wanna stay with me sweetheart?"

The girl slowly looked up at Owen. Owen gave her a warm smile. The girl nodded then wrapped her arms around his neck. Mr. Masrasi nodded at Owen, and Claire stood their with her mouth open in shock.

Owen stood up and headed to his jeep. He went to the passenger side to put the girl down, but the girl whimpered when he tried to put her down.

Not my first time driving with someone in my lap. He thought to himself. He got into to driver's side and positioned the little girl to straddle his legs so he could drive. 

As began to drove, he felt the calming heart beats of the child.

The innocence of a child.