Chapter 3

Grace's was sitting in the passenger side of the car as it rounded the curve in the long drive and the house rose before them.  It was massive, and it reminded her of a Jane Austen novel. 

Alec, who was behind the wheel, gave a low whistle. "That's impressive."

Cybil giggled. "We are going to have fun.  I hear the Earl is a dish."

Grace frowned. "I don't know about a dish, but he is strikingly handsome."

"And rich," Cybil giggled again.

"Extremely rich from what I understand," Alec confirmed.

Alec was how one expected an archaeologist to look. He was tall and lanky with glasses and a balding head. Cybil was a cute young bundle of energy which, if she was honest, wore out Grace.

The car ride had seemed twice as long since Cybil had talked the whole time; the woman had trouble with silence. Grace had watched her blond curls piled high on her head dance and her blue eyes sparkle in the rear-view mirror the entire trip. Grace felt drained, but Cybil looked as if the journey had just started. Alec had been no help at keeping up with the conversation and had left Grace to carry the other end all by herself.

Silence was what she needed.

Alec started the car forward again and up the long drive, stopping in front of the massive double doors. No sooner had he cut the engine then two people came out to greet them.

There was an older lady with silver grey hair and a heavily starched dress and a tall, balding man in a black suit.

Cybil was the first one out of the car and bounded up the steps to the couple her hand outstretched.

"Dr. Grace Winston?" the lady questioned.

"No, Dr. Cybil Pafford." 

The woman and man shook her hand looking mildly shocked.

"I'm Grace Winston," Grace said, unfolding herself from the car, "and this is Dr. Alec Quigley."

Grace didn't think the couple would welcome her handshake, so she just nodded a greeting. It seemed acceptable because they nodded back.

"I am Gertrude Walbert, and this is my husband Richard Walbert, we work for Mr. Stevens. Mr. Stevens is in the middle of a phone call, and he will be with you for lunch, but first, I would like to show you to your rooms. Don't worry about the luggage we will sort it out later." It seemed that Gertrude was a no-nonsense kind of lady and she was determined to have them sorted and settled as soon as possible.

When Grace entered the house, it was everything that she expected it to be.  It was monstrous and cold and not at all welcoming. They followed Mrs. Walbert through the massive three-story main hall, where she pointed out the dining room, where lunch would be served, before continuing up the stairs.  Mr. Walbert took Alec in the opposite direction once they reached the first landing.

Grace was in awe as she entered her room.  It was lovely. There was a large four poster bed and matching armoire, as well as a large fireplace with a seating area that included two plush armchairs.  The bedding was in rich golds and reds, and all of the wood was dark.  There were carpets in matching tones scattered over the floor, and her private bathroom was solid white.

Thanking Mrs. Walbert, she did her best to ignore Cybil's raves about the room.

After the two women had left, Grace turned to the large bed which looked inviting; it was so tall she almost had to get a running start to get in it, but she managed, and as she fell back into its softness she breathed a sigh of relief at the silence that surrounded her