Chapter 1 - Imitation X

A/N: This chapter includes cursing.

I am trailing past the crowd forming around Games Unlimited. Looking around all the people, I see a window, where something is on display. 

Making my way over, I trip over my someones shoe. 

"Heh," Cody, a big guy in my grade, with his belly showing under his shirt. He is one of the biggest douches I've ever met in my life. Selfish, ignorant, and all his friends only hang out with him so they don't get on his bad side. "It's the little... cunt!" Him and his friends laugh around him, while I pick myself up, ignoring their angry bashes about my second-hand shoes, worn out and muddy. "Have fun, Eddie, with those rusty-ass kicks! Should I even call them kicks? More like ticks.. the hell?" 

I walk away, knowing people are staring at the scene of Cody still bashing me.

Up at the window, swarming with people, is a silver video-game case with gold lettering, saying "Imitation X: A Game From The Future! 1 game per state will be in the hands of 1 lucky kid in each state for this 1 hell-of-a-game. Raise hell or die trying!"

Pushing my way through dozens of people at the front, I come close to the door. What I can see from the heads of others in front of me, the door includes a notice taped on; "Open from 9-8pm on weekdays, 9-6pm on weekends."

Checking my watch, it says 8:58am. Two minutes until the stampede. I turn my head, and see people of all ages, small children, middle school age, and teen years. My whole school must be here. I think to myself.

Only one of us will get this game. I need it. Everyone else here is here just for popularity of having the one copy in the state! But I'm here to finish my collection.

I stand there for another  minute, being pushed around sideways. My strategy was to get inside before the rest, but looking at the crowd, that'll be a bit difficult.

Parents with children and teenagers that are much taller than me walk forward, closer to the door. Seeing no other way to get past them, I get on my knees and crawl. Crawling seems innapropriate in every other situation. 

Holding my pocket so the 40 dollars don't come out, I crawl. I crawl faster than I thought I could. Just as the door opens, I'm pushed into it. I get up quickly off the ground and sprint the 10 meters waiting for me. Just before my fingers close around the edge of a disk, someone else grabs hold of it.

"Little bitch, aren't you, Eddie Laker," Zane Branch, one of Cody's friends, holds the disk, laughing at me. 

As he is laughing, I use it as the perfect moment to take it gracefully from his hands. Before I get to see his reaction, I sprint past people that are chasing me for Imitation X, and run up to one of the ten cashiers at the front of the store.

"Hey. Can I- buy - this?" My breaths are shallow and quick.

"Congrats, kid. How old are you? Hopefully you're more than 14-- I'd feel bad 'cause that's the limit: 14-17." The cashier, a twenty-something looking man, with a stubble grins.

"I'm 16," He nods, and slides the disk over the scanner. 

"Thirty-nine-ninety-nine. And plus the tax... Forty-two-oh-two." He hold out his hand, waiting for the card.

I realize I only brought forty dollars. Shit. I curse in my head. Thinking nothing more, I grab the disk out of his hands, and stuff the two twenties into his hand, and sprint.

"Kid! You get back here! Someone grab him!" I hear the cashier, as I sprint straight through the door, the crowd dying down. 

Someone grabs my wrist, and I feel another grab my shoulder. "C'mon, kid. Ya fergot yer receipt!" The young security man puts a white, thin paper into my hands. 

I read it as I head out, and it says, "Congrats kid! You're the 1 from the 1, the only, Pennsylvania! Thanks for buying Imitation X and please follow the instructions on the inside of the disk. If you do not play the game in 3 hours, you are out!"

~~~

I get home, 5 minutes walking distance from Games Unlimited. Imitation X is in my right hand, tingling my skin.

I walk onto my porch and get out my keys, and head inside.

"Hey hun," my mom comes from the kitchen. "You get what you need?" She is wearing wet rubber gloves. 

"Yup." 

"Hmm," she looks at my disk.  "Go have fun with it." Kissing my forehead, she turns and walks back into the kitchen.

I head upstairs, tempted to play it. 

In my room, I sit at my desk, which has a laptop on it with my endless pile of games on the side of it. 

I open my laptop and open Imitation X. I throw the receipt to the side and slide the disk into the side of the laptop.

Immediately, large gold lettering read Welcome Gamer  on the window that opened on screen.

Alright, I think. Time to dance.

---

Hey guys! This is Anna, I'm the author of this (duh..) and a couple of other dystopian books on my page (check them out!)

Sorry this chapter is super short. What I want to do is have short chapters but update the book often instead of having long chapters and updating.. lets say maybe every week? This way you guys can read this faster! 

BTW: I added Young Adult Reads, AND WrittenInAction stickers onto the cover because I think they fit the story and I love the two projects a lot. So check those out!

Summer break is starting soon, and my birthday is next week, so I might not update then.

What this story includes: A LOT of action, violence, a tad bit of romance, and, death (obviously).

My next update might be Tuesday or Wednesday, so watch for it!

vote :)

comment :)

and stay patient as I'm in the week of finals and might not be totally active

thanks guys,

Anna :)