Chapter 8

"So brother, do you want to tell me what's going on with you and Grace?" Rainer asked Bryce an hour later as they were riding along a stone wall that ran the length of the estate. They were looking for break in it where sheep had been getting through.

"I might ask you the same thing. After all you're the one who knows she sleeps with her light on."

Rainer was not deceived by his brother's careless tone. When Bryce sounded like he couldn't care less that generally was when he cared the most. Rainer shrugged, not answering the question. He would let Bryce worry a little bit, it would be good for him. Most things came to easily to him.

"I like Grace, she's a very classy lady. I've never heard her say a mean thing about anyone even though I think she, more than anyone, has that right." Rainer frowned as he thought about all of the unanswered questions he had about Grace. "She's a lot like you, she plays her cards very close to her chest. Do you think she tripped this morning?"

"No, I think Crystal pushed her," Bryce said stopping to look down from the horse at the wall more closely. Rainer noted the falling stone and nodded as they moved forward.

"Must be because she's jealous, does she have the right to be?" Rainer eyed Bryce's back. He had always wondered about Crystal and Bryce.

As far as Rainer knew Bryce had had plenty of casual relationships but nothing serious, and at one time, when they were younger, he had thought that Bryce and Crystal would probably get married one day.

"No, Crystal and I have never had anything other than a platonic relationship."

"That surprises me," Rainer admitted.

Bryce shrugged. "I've never trusted her."

"Will you ask her to leave?"

Bryce shook his head. "She will probably be gone when we get back this afternoon."

Rainer was always amazed at Bryce's ability to read people and their actions. It was something that made him very good at his job in contract law.

"How do you know Grace?" Bryce asked his eyes scanning the horizon.

"We met in South America about two years ago. She was just a lovely young grad student trying to decide what interested her the most."

Bryce shot Rainer a look at his lewd tone.

Rainer grinned. "South America or European archaeology. What did you think I was talking about?" he asked innocently.

Bryce shook his head, smiling a little at his brother's good natured teasing.

"Maybe I'll try to woo her a little bit. I'm sure the two of us could have some fun over the next few weeks. Maybe continue what we started a few years ago." Rainer watched Bryce's back, wishing he could see his face.

Bryce had always come across as cold and reserved to most people, but his family, who knew him best, knew that he could feel very deeply and took other's feelings very seriously even if he didn't always seem to.

"Would you object brother?" Rainer asked Bryce.

"No," was all he said, not bothering to turn and look at Rainer.

Rainer got the feeling that he minded very much.

*******

Grace was standing in a hole that was as deep as her waist and she had mud all over her face and in her hair. Alec and Cybil looked just as dirty but the three of them were in their element. They had laid out their grid and they were systematically and carefully digging out each square.