Those Who Knew No Better

Warning: Implied self-harm, implied suicide attempt, and implied rape.

Rated M to be safe.

::

The mission had an undefined length of time, but they expected to get back before the Chuunin Exams began a little under two months away. Sakura wasn't complaining in the slightest and was almost giddy as she, Ibiki, and Genma spent the first few days since their departure on a high-speed run towards Wind Country's border. It felt so nice to not keep much of her skill at bay or have to worry about her friends seeing what she was truly capable of.

She had to thank her lucky stars for having those two around to back her up when she needed them most. It almost seemed to lessen the weight on her shoulders.

Almost.

They settled down at an inn a day away from Sunagakure where Ibiki and Genma immediately sat Sakura down to lay out the rules of the mission.

"So for the first two weeks, Morino and I have to meet up with the client. We asked to bring you along, they said no for security reasons and yadda yadda yadda, so you're stuck in this town for that whole time," Genma began. He pointed at the cheeky grin that was slowly blooming on her face. "Don't give me that look. We're laying out six rules that you're going to follow or else we're kicking your ass all the way back to Konoha. Capiche?"

Sakura stuck her tongue out, causing Ibiki to roll his eyes as he explained the first rule.

"Rule One: No drugs. That means no sleeping pills, no chakra enhancers, no blood pills, no soldier pills, or any stuff of that kind. If I have even the slightest suspicion that you used any when we get back, I'm taking you to the nearest clinic to have you tested."

"Rule Two: No fights no matter how much the other side deserves it," Genma said. He cocked his head after thinking for a few seconds. "Unless you really can't help it. But you better win or I'm having Anko double your training when we get back."

"Rule Three: No dealings with strangers. No side missions, no suspicious items, and no plotting to do something stupid. I think you've met your quota for that for the time being," Ibiki told her. She raised an eyebrow and he returned it with the 'I'm watching you' gesture. The senbon-wielding shinobi crossed his arms and went on with the next one.

"Rule Four: Don't break the law under any circumstances," he order. He then lowered his voice and scooted a little closer to her. "If you don't get caught, it's not illegal."

Ibiki smacked him upside the head. "Rule Five: No quarrels with other nations," he continued, uncaring of the pout Genma gave him. "And I mean it. Konoha doesn't need another war."

Sakura looked positively offended. "What am I, a criminal?"

"Close enough to one. Now shut up, we're not done with the list."

"And last but not least, Rule Six: Don't leave the town! Which we all know you're probably going to do anyway, but at least be here when we get back and we won't ask any questions," Genma finished. "Seriously though, stay safe. Successful missions technically require you to be alive."

She mock saluted them. "Don't get in trouble, mind my own business, and don't die. I think I got it," she said. Her sensei took their unpacked bags and opened the door to leave the room.

"Take care of yourself, kid!"

"Follow the rules or you're grounded."

She flopped down onto the ground at the table with a sigh as they took their leave. Ibiki and Genma... being with them was so different. They trusted her through and through and knew her well enough to impose rules but be lenient enough with them that they worked. They never questioned her motives and even if they worried about what she did, they understood her.