Chapter 18

Chapter 18

It was nearing mid December and the high school musical was in full throttle. Which was why Miren and Jeno were suffering though a Saturday dress rehearsal. From hell.

"No one is leaving until we have a perfect run through! We have less than one week until showtime!" The drama director practically barked at them. Miren sighed; they had already gone through the whole thing, but Adam, who was playing the male lead, messed up on his lines in the closing number of the first act.

But what was worse was watching Penelope. She was the female lead, Rosie Alvarez, and although the rest of the actors weren't exactly horrible, she was obviously carrying the show.

Jeno took a seat next to her as the pit took their break. "Apparently a representative of Julliard will be at the opening night." He folded his arms. "We really should find a way to kill the show before we have to dedicate another weekend to it."

Miren almost laughed as she watched the director fix Penelope's collar. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We need to make sure the Julliard rep is happy, don't we?"

"Fair enough."

"Plus, Theodora and others worked really hard." She motioned to the city square set of Sweet Apple, Ohio. "We need to finalize our plans with Wallace later."

Jeno nodded as Mr. Gales and some of the other students returned to the sunken orchestra booth next to the stage. "Okay. He said he wanted to show us something too."

Miren pursed her lips. She knew the boy was working with Chara and Artemis, and although it was best to keep her distance, she couldn't help but wonder what they were up to. And despite sharing a class with him, Wallace had been distant for a few weeks now.

There was a buzzer, and the pit players took their seats.

"We'll be running it again in five minutes!" The wacky director announced. "Draw the curtain!"

The lights dimmed and Miren positioned her viola to play. Her fingers and shoulders were aching, but she ignored the sensation as she retuned her instrument with the others.

No pain, no glory.

***

It was later than late by the time they got out. Jeno escorted Theodora back to campus, leaving Miren to brace the harsh winter weather by herself. When she made it to the dorm, she found Chara in the lobby. Her eyebrows lifted.

"Hey, Chara," she greeted as friendly as she could. "What are you doing here so late?"

"Nine thirty is hardly late," she replied.

"It is when you've been at play practice since noon." Miren rubbed the knot in her neck. "Where's your boyfriend?"

"Apparently one of the speakers broke at Jasper Theater and he went back to help fix it." She moved for the door. "I was actually heading over to see him."

"Isn't your curfew in like ten minutes?" Miren said. "Nonsense. Let me walk you back. I'll go check in on him afterward."

Chara pursed her lips before sighing. "Fine."

The outside was worse a second time, but Miren ignored the sensation of losing sensation in her fingers as she turned to her friend. If they were still friends.

"Are we okay?" Miren asked as they crossed the stretch of greenery that divided their schools. Part of her felt that prying was stupid, especially on her end. What did she have to feel bad about again? She was busting her butt in pit just to have an alibi. All to execute a plan that may or not work, which may or may not ruin Penelope. Chara was right—maybe it was impossible to take her down.