Chapter 11

After arriving in New York, Grace had quickly found a place to live with secretary Angie Ryan, and Cultural anthropologist Christine Braden, who were both in her department and had had an extra room for rent. They rented an old brownstone not far from the university campus, and Grace had the attic floor all to herself. It was a bit chilly, but she kept a space heater handy, and the space in the room as well as the skylight made it worth it. Having instant friends and a place to live had helped ease the transition into her new life, a life without Bryce.

She had started teaching in September and was enjoying the experience of sharing her knowledge with others, but she still needed more to do to fill her time, so one of the first things she had done after she had settled in was to start volunteering with College for Fosters. It was the program that had helped her get on her feet after she was thrust into the real world, and without them she would not have been able to achieve the academic success that she had.

Only a few people at Fosters knew that she had participated in the program, and she was doing her best to keep it that way. She was able to council other kids who were interested in attending college who thought that they wouldn't be able to because of their circumstances.

The only real issue that she had was the Dean of her college, Dr. Edgar Rush. He was a small man with a potbelly and a receding hairline, who had been divorced for years. He had been harassing all of the women in the department long before she had arrived.  It had only taken a week before he had zeroed in on Grace as a target. He saw her as fresh prey, and enjoyed the challenge that she presented.  She had tried to get some of the girls together to lodge a complaint, but they had all declined to join her.  They were of the mind that the devil you knew was better than the devil you didn't. 

Grace pushed the unpleasant thought of Rush from her mind as she climbed the steps to the building that housed the Fosters program. Eileen Kramer had asked her to come in a little early so that she could talk to her about the annual gala that was to be held in mid December. Grace responded to several of her new friends' greetings as she made her way to Eileen's office.  It was the Saturday shift which was always lighter than the weekdays.  Most people preferred to be home with their families but because Grace was alone, it was ideal for her to work and keep busy.

Eileen called for Grace to enter after she knocked on her door, and as soon as she entered she noticed two other women with Eileen. They were both stunning. One had the bluest black hair she had ever seen, and the other was a blond haired, blue eyed beauty, who seemed vaguely familiar.

Eileen had a warm smile on her face. "Grace, good you're here. I would like you to meet Trisha Livingston and Lizzy Stevens.  They are planning December's fund raiser, and I mentioned that you might be able to help."

Grace gave a smile of greeting in return as she recognized Lizzy's name immediately.  That was why the blond seemed familiar, she was Rainer and Bryce's sister; she had their eyes.

Grace shook hands with both ladies. "Your Rainer and Bryce's sister, aren't you?"

Lizzy looked shocked then wary. "Yes, do you know them?"

"Yes, you might say I dug up your backyard this summer." Grace used Rainer's words.

She watched Lizzy as she searched her memory bank. "In Kent?"

"Yes, but I am afraid we didn't find anything."

Lizzy nodded. "I remember Mom saying something about that."

"Wonderful, if you know the Stevenses then you know that they are very generous. They're the main reason we are able to keep our doors open.  They have supported us, almost from the beginning." Eileen gushed.