07

A few weeks later, at one of Steve's shows, the Senator walks up to Steve and I as were talking. 

"Senator, what a surprise." Steve says, standing up and shaking his hand. 

"Good to see you Captain Rogers. I have a new job for you." he replies. Steve asks what it is before sitting back down next to me. 

"It would help immensely if you would start performing as Captain America in movies." the Senator hesitantly tells us. Steve balls his hands into fists so tightly his knuckles turn white. He's still not happy about his role in all of this.

"When am I going to be able to help in the actual war?" Steve asks. He leans on the table, towards the Senator and looks him in the eyes. 

"Colonel Phillips still believes that it's best if you continue to do this." the Senator says calmly.

Steve scoffs before leaning back in his chair and crossing his arms across his chest. I carefully place a hand on his bicep and squeeze it lightly, telling him it's okay. He looks at me and smiles before returning his attention towards the Senator. 

"It'll just be a few movies, nothing special." 

Steve looks down at his lap and chews on his bottom lip for a few silent moments. Suddenly, he looks up at us and nods. 

"Fine. Just a few movies." 

"There we go!" the Senator smiles before standing up and clapping Steve on the back. Steve stands up too and shakes the Senator's hand before bidding him goodbye. After he's left, Steve sighs and sits back down.

I begin to ask him what's wrong but I notice he's staring off into space so instead, I dig around in my bad, looking for Bucky's most recent letter.

April 27th, 1943

Dear Charlotte,

I miss you too, Charlotte. A lot. I'm sure I'll be home soon enough to see this new Steve. 

Anyways, I'm very glad you brought that subject up because I was too much of a chicken to tell you. Steve's known the entire time and before I left for training, he would not stop bothering me about telling you. But being as stubborn as I am, I insisted that you didn't feel the same and I didn't know if I could bear the heartbreak.

I'm falling for you Charlotte Rose Rogers. I have been since the day I first met you. It makes me very happy to know that the feelings go both ways. As soon as I come home, I'll take you out on a date, I promise. It'll be the first thing I do.

Tell Steve that I miss him and hope he's not getting into any trouble. I'll see you soon Charlotte.

Love,

Bucky

I take a deep breath before setting the letter on the table. 

"Did you know?" I ask Steve quietly, not looking at him. 

"Know what?" Steve asks, tearing his attention away from the wall behind me. 

"That Bucky had a crush on me."

Steve smiles widely before crossing his arms over his chest. 

"Did he finally man up and tell you?" 

I blush and nod. 

"And how do you feel about it?" Steve asks me seriously. 

"Well, of course I feel the same way. I've felt the same way for a long while." I admit. Steve looks at me for a moment before getting up out of his chair and hugging me. 

"I'm happy for you sis." he murmurs in my ear. I blush and murmur back a "Thank you." before pushing him off of me. 

"If you'll excuse me, I have a training session with Peggy in a few minutes." I tell Steve. Steve nods, still not entirely happy about Peggy teaching me how to fight. 

"I love you Steve." I sing before lightly hitting him on the shoulder. 

He smiles at me before responding, "Love you too Charlotte."

I walk out from the backstage area and make my way towards the gym Peggy had decided we would use in this city. I quickly walk inside and change before meeting Peggy in the empty room. 

"Right on time." she chirps. I nod and begin wrapping tape around my hands. 

"You've shown a lot of improvement since we first began." Peggy comments after we warm up. 

"I have?"

Peggy nods before instructing me to get in a fighting stance. 

"I can show you how to shoot a gun too once we finish with hand to hand combat." Peggy tells me as she stands across from me, also in a fighting stance. For the next few hours, Peggy and I practice until she tells me to stop. 

"I think we're done. I've taught you all I know." Peggy says, wiping sweat off her forehead. I smile widely before thanking her. 

"Of course. I'll teach you how to shoot a gun at the next stop." 

We laugh before exiting the gym and heading towards our hotel. When we walk into Steve and I's room to talk some more before we went to bed, we see Steve sitting on the bed holding a piece of paper.

"What's that?" I ask, sitting next to Steve and taking the paper from him. 

"The Senator wants us to go to Italy so I can perform for the soldiers." Steve tells me so I don't have to read the entire paper. My eyes still skim the page, looking for any other pieces of important information.

"When do we leave?" Peggy asks, taking the paper from me so she can look over it herself. 

"In a few weeks. But we leave for Philadelphia tomorrow." Steve answers her. Peggy and I share a glance before I nod. 

"Guess I'll pack then."

"I will too. I'll see you two tomorrow, alright?" Peggy says. Steve and I nod before telling her goodnight and shutting the door after her after she leaves. 

"Well, you finally get to go overseas." I joke as I begin packing. Steve glares at me before resuming packing his things. 

"Lighten up Steve. We might run into Bucky, who knows?" I shrug. 

"You wish." Steve says. I look at him and notice the smirk across his face. 

"Yes, I do." I laugh, rolling my eyes. For the rest of the night, Steve and I pack and make small talk. As soon as my head hits my pillow, I'm fast asleep.