Ponder on the Good

Marlena let out a sigh as she closed her journal. She fell backwards onto her bed, her head hitting the pillow with a soft whooshing sound. She held the journal to her chest, wishing nothing more than for it to be Bucky. She missed him more than she ever thought she could, and talking to him through a journal just wasn't doing it for her. She needed him to be there with her, but the thought of not knowing when or if that would be killed her inside. The fact that her birthday was in two days made it much worse for her. She wanted him to be there to spend it with her, otherwise it wouldn't be a very happy birthday.

Marlena placed the journal back onto her bedside table and sat up, running a hand through her shoulder length hair. She sat for a few seconds contemplating what it was she wanted to do, and when she finally settled on wanting to take a nap, Wanda's voice prevented her from doing so.

"Marlena," she called from downstairs. "There's a package here for you."

Marlena groaned and got off of her bed, wasting no time in sauntering out of her room and down the stairs. Just as Marlena stepped off of the final step, Wanda closed the front door and turned around, a small box in her hand. She gave Marlena a small smile and handed it to her, following her into the kitchen so she could open it up.

"Do you know who sent it?" Wanda asked as she took her place behind the counter.

Marlena shook her head and yanked open one of the cardboard flaps. "It doesn't say on the box."

"What's in it?"

Marlena smiled at her cousin's curiousness and dumped the contents of the box onto the counter. Her eyes widened in surprise as she watched a stack of money wrapped in a red bow fall onto the table, along with an envelope with her name printed on the front. She picked up the stack of cash and examined it; she knew immediately who had sent it to her. No one besides Tony Stark would be stupid enough to send cash to someone in a FedEx box.

"I swear, he never fails to amaze me," Marlena muttered as she tossed the stack to Wanda.

She chuckled and flicked the bow before sitting it down on the table. "Tony Stark would not be Tony Stark if he didn't spend a ridiculous amount of money on those he cared about."

"True," Marlena said as she tore open the envelope.

She was immediately met with the sight of Tony's handwriting, and she smiled as she read over the words scribbled onto the stationary.

Marlena,

Happy birthday, kid. In this box you should find part one of your three-part present inside. Now, I know the stack of money might seem like a lot, but I'm horrible at buying gifts for people. Last year, I had your mom help me pick out what to get you, but now that I can't go to her I am officially lost. Anyway, I think money is the best gift you can give to someone as a gift. Why buy someone something and risk them not liking it when you can give them money and they can get of their lazy ass and go get their own present? That only seems logical to me. I even wrapped it in a nice, pretty bow for you.

Anyway, I know you're probably feeling a bit bummed out about your birthday this year. With everyone gone, I can't imagine how horrible you must feel, but I'm writing this to tell you that soon enough everything will be okay. You'll be happy again, and you'll have the life you've always wanted with the man you've always wanted. Now, I'm not promising anything, but I'm being hopeful for your sake. You deserve to hear something happy during this time of emotional turmoil, which I partly blame myself for, but that's beside the point here. I want you to be happy, Marlena; I want you to have everything you've ever wanted out of life. Stop moping around Clint's house like a sixteen year old girl who just watched her favorite television character die. You're better than that, Marlena Claire—you're fuckin' Prodigy. Be the badass you are and at least try to be happy. Try to think about the good things in life rather than the bad. You deserve better than the bad.

Now, I'm gonna go, but I'm gonna do my best to come see you soon. I miss my little flower so much, and I can only hope she misses me just as much. I'm sorry things had to come to this, but we'll figure a way out of it (I'm already working on it).

Love you, sunshine.

Sincerely,

Tony

Marlena wiped away a single tear that had managed to fall. She folded the letter back up and placed it back in its envelope, her gaze falling on Wanda after doing so.

"He's a good man when he wants to be," Wanda said.

Marlena nodded and smiled. "He is. I miss him so much—I miss them all so much."

"Now, now. . .don't be upset," Wanda teased. "I believe Tony told you not to ponder on the bad, but ponder on the good."

Marlena gave a soft chuckle and wiped her face again. "It's hard to do so when there's nothing good to ponder on."

Wanda grabbed her hand. "Have hope, Marlena."

"I'm trying," Marlena responded as she squeezed her hand. "I just wish they were here with me. I just wish things could go back to the way they used to be."

"Don't we all," Wanda sighed. "But hey, your birthday is going to be amazing regardless of who's here and who isn't. Clint and I have already made sure of it. You deserve to age happily, Marlena."

Marlena chuckled and shook her head. "I can always count on you to brighten my day."

"Of course you can."