Chapter 6 - Gossips

Chapter 6 - Gossips

The ball is almost here and you can feel how hectic everything is for all of us. Rhonda keeps bossing us around, telling us what to do and how to do it. The ball has to be perfect for her precious little bags of money, so they can keep spreading the word and bringing more money to her pocket. She is so greedy.

I wish I could say I'm having fun, that I at least get to joke with Charlie and everything, but it's not like that. I don't know how she does it, but Rhonda is in front of us the minute we decide to do something fun, like scaring some celebrities or have a race with the maids' carts. She kills all the fun and it's all work. Not that I'm surprised or anything.

I'm sent to go for new tablecloths because white is too common and she wants the red ones now. Crazy woman, always changing her mind. She is obsessed with the colour red, she thinks it's elegant and powerful. It kinda is, but I'll never agree with her on anything. Never.

On my way I see many other workers running, Zandrin -on of the lifeguards at the pool- is almost having a breakdown and I have to stop to help her a bit before carrying on with my task. Celebrities walk around like nothing is happening, like none of us is working his and her arse out just to please them so they can have fun at the Summer Ball. I feel tempted to push one of them off the stairs at the very Roller Derby style, but I contain myself. I don't want to die at Rhonda's hands yet.

I pick the tablecloths and make my way back to the ballroom where the ball will be hosted, but on my way I bump into someone. I immediately apologise and bend down to pick the tablecloths. I'm surprised when the person does the same and helps me. I look up and meet blue eyes that I've seen before, in a celebrity.

"I'm sorry," Niall says and I shake my head, taking all the tablecloths in my arms again. "You okay, right?"

"Yes, I'm sorry, too. I was too distracted," I say rather awkwardly because I remember the last time we saw each other and how he started to tell me his problems, but I just left.

"There's a lot of movement around here," he comments and I look at every side, wondering why he's still standing in front of me and hasn't left yet. "Is it because of the ball?"

"Yes, we're all working really hard to make it perfect," I reply as a good employee would do.

"Sweet. It sounds like it's gonna be big and impressive. Do you workers also attend?" He asks next and I nod. "Will you go?"

For a second I look at him impressed but then I recover from the shock and shake my head "No, I have loads of work to do. I'll be backstage, I guess," is my reply and he nods in understanding.

"Well, that's a pity." I raise my eyebrows in surprise and he blushes. "I mean, you're gonna miss such a lovely occasion."

"It's nothing. There's one every year, I'm used to it already," I answer shrugging and he scratches the back of his neck in a nervous gesture. "Well I-"

But I don't get to finish my sentence when I hear someone shouting. "Niall! Where are you?" And next I see a gorgeous blonde making her way towards where Niall is standing. "Here you are! I've been looking for you for a bloody hour!" She complains, oblivious to my presence. Not that it surprises me, all celebrities ignore us.

"Sorry, I was taking a stroll. The landscape is fantastic here," he replies passing his arm over her shoulders but she wriggles it off. He looks uncomfortable and takes a quick glimpse at me. I see shame in his eyes, but again, I'm not surprised. I've seen this same scene uncountable times.

"We were supposed to meet at the spa an hour ago, but you never showed up. If you're gonna change plans, at least let me know beforehand so I don't look like an idiot waiting for you." She looks really pissed.