Chapter 8: monsters

She watched the man in front of her, eyes wide and mouth gaped.
"No?" He questioned her, eyebrow raised in amusement. Verna didn't dare move, his face looked normal despite his pronounced cheekbones, flat nose, and cat like eyes. Verna was afraid, no, afraid wasn't a strong enough word. Terrified or paralyzed with fear were better, she feared seeing people normally. It had been so long without the monsters she didn't know how to be normal. She liked the monsters, they showed who people really were, not what they showed with their glass mask covering the horrors underneath. Verna welcomed the monsters. She welcomed them because they were real.
"No!" She screeched, Verna stood her expression twisted and tight with fear "No No No! This isn't right! You're gonna drug me!" She paused touching her face, realization hit her "No! You already have! That's why you look like you! I'll never go back to that hell hole!" She screamed making a beeline for the window. She pushed it open body positioned and ready to throw herself out of it, strong arms snaked across her waist pulling her back in and held in a iron like grip. He cradled her to him as she pushed, screamed, and did anything she could think of to get away.
Darkness walked through the door, he had a deep frown as he watched the scene in front of him. His worst fears about the female flaring not to life.
"He drugged me! YOU drugged me! I won't go back, I would rather die!" She screamed tears rolling down her pale cheeks.
"No one drugged you female," Darkness tried to reason with her "Dreamer is trying to help you" he paused smelling the food.
Blink.
She froze, shoulders sagging, body limp "please forgive my outburst" she stopped fighting in Dreamers hold.
"What happened?" Darkness eyes narrowed in suspicion, she knew why, she understood.
"I didn't see anything..." Verna started, voice soft, she wouldn't lie to people who just wanted to help her. She wasn't those monsters that had lied to her all those years, she refused to be a monster "when I look at you, I see a feline head, you look like a panther with other cat like features that I can't quite place yet. And as we walked through to get to this room I noticed that the people we passed had the same types of heads, some feline, some canine, and a small few were primates. When I looked at him. He was.. Normal.. It was terrifying" she paused, the palms of her hands pressed to her heated face, she didn't dare look up she was far too ashamed of herself.
"I see.." Darkness pauses and watches her carefully, "why is it that seeing him normal terrifies you so much?"
"Why should I fear the dark? When the masks people wear in the sun are far more terrifying?" She quotes, her words falling from her tongue easily "the monsters are the people behind their mask, they lie and spit at you from behind the safety of their masks too afraid to face you without a shield. The monsters in my head reflect the monsters behind the mask and I would rather see the horrors of this world then live in oblivious bliss my entire life" she pulls her hands from her face to stare Darkness in the eyes, he looked surprised, like he didn't expect her answer to be poetic.
"Fine," he roughly rubbed his hand across his face looking exhausted "I'll see what I can do so you won't ever have to return to that horrid place" with that he turned and left. Verna watched eyes widened in surprise. He was going to make it that she was free. Finally free. She couldn't hold the tears that escaped her eyes, resting her head against Dreamers warm chest she cried. Not in anguish, not in fear, not in misery, but in happiness.
A bulky finger wipes away her tears with gentle swipes. Verna enjoyed the touch, it didn't make her cringe back like Mitch did. For the first time in years she enjoyed the company of another human being.
"Are you alright female?" His voice was deep, husky, and it resonated to her soul.
"Verna" she kept her eyes closed, she could almost see the amused expression on his handsome face. She wanted to laugh, handsome? She has never had interest in a man before but she also had never been treated so gently before.
'He's going to leave you, they all do' the voice coo'd to her, her small smile fell. The voice was right. He was going to leave her, just like everyone else.
'I can't wait to see you broken and crying when he realizes you're just a filthy whore' it cackles, she felt her heart clench. Love was just a weakness for her demons to feed on.