Chapter Four

Chapter Four

      After school, Chase and I—never thought I’d start a sentence like that—headed over to Izzy’s house. Adam had to drive us there, because I lacked the very useful essential of a driver’s license. He was pretty apprehensive about me spending time with Chase, but I assured him that I wasn’t interested in him.

      When we got to the unfamiliar, pale, blue house, I was definitely nervous. The fear of not being accepted had always made my stomach flip. Ever since I was little, fitting in was something I needed. Like back in seventh grade, I needed Emily and Taylor to like me, I needed to be one of those girls, but really, all I needed were some friends. Somehow, Emily and Taylor ended up being those friends.

      “Bye, sis!” Adam called, as we got out of his car.

      “Bye, bro!” I returned with a wave.

      “Ready to enter Loserville?” Chase asked sarcastically, as I slapped his shoulder in response. Jerk. “Before we go in, just tell me, why them? Why aren’t you going back to Taylor and Emily?”

      “Would you rather I go back to Taylor and Emily?” I questioned back, a few paces ahead of him.

      “Yes, actually I would,” he began to catch up to me.

      “Well, considering it’s my life and not yours, I think I’m going to stick with these people, assuming they want me.” I had set my mind on befriending these people, and nothing was going to change that. I could be very persistent when I wanted to be.

      “Who wouldn’t want you?” Chase scoffed.

      “You. Two years ago,” I for some reason was possessed to bring up the past, yet again.

      “Oh. Right. But you ended up with Mason, so it was all good!” he brushed it off as if it was nothing.

      “But it wasn’t. You went out with Emily, which was a constant reminder to me of all I couldn’t have.” To be honest, I was way over that whole thing, and didn’t really care anymore, but a chance to make Chase feel guitly was something I simply couldn’t pass up.

      “But, let me say again, you ended up with MASON,” he stressed the last proper noun in his sentence, putting a good amount of emphasis on it.

      “You know what? You’re right. Besides, he was way better than you, anyways,” I smirked, hoping to puncture Chase’s ego even marginally.

      “That’s not what I said!” he exclaimed in denial.

      “Right, because it goes without saying,” I smiled, reaching the front door of a white wood, and knocking on it.

      “Hey!” Izzy greeted, as she opened the door. “Come on in! We’re just playing some video games downstairs!”

      “Fun,” I grinned, following her in.

      Chase was behind me, but I ignored him. Izzy led us through her kitchen and past a few rooms, until we came across another door. She opened the large panel used for entrance and exit to reveal descending steps, and happily proceeded to skip down them. I cautiously sauntered down, with Chase following after. When we got to the bottom of the staircase, I saw four teens that I assumed to be Logan, Owen, Kim, and Mia all sitting on a couch. They each had a controller in their hands and were looking intensely at the screen.

      They had all changed pretty drastically. Logan was off the charts hot—this kid was smokin’. His black hair covered his eyes, and he was rocking the whole skater vibe. Owen didn’t look that geeky, and evaded his large, round-framed glasses. He wasn’t cute, but he wasn’t ugly. Kim had dyed her hair black, and it was tied down in a long braid. She looked as pretty as ever. And then, there was Mia.