Part II

P A R T      II

1997-1998

"Lily's Theme" || Alexandre Desplat || Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pt. 2

A wartime hero is not exactly what it seems: they are more than virtuous warriors, standing for what is right. They are wartime children who had a choice to turn dark, but instead, turned to the light.

See to a fattened calf.  They are a meat or a dairy source, exploited for their nutritional worth rather than praised for their internal virtues as fellow animals to humanity.  Calves are taken, killed, and served for their meat without a thought towards their extinguished conscious.  The innocent calf becomes a diluded teenager, and in the end, cooked by the environment of their war.

Or, take to a battle-worn deer.  Once a wobbly infant and now a grown stag, a deer is more than fitting for the end of a hunter's rifle, another subconscious kill.  No matter how elusive, the situation is inevitable, taken from their families without a second thought towards their position in society.  The small deer becomes a strong warrior, and finally, a piece of meat like every other.

A wartime hero sounds from the sacrifice of both warriors, strewn from varying environments.  So different, the calf and deer are burnt by their times, branded by their titles.  And as it happens, the calf and deer become Veal and Venison.