━ five: series of sonnets

CHAPTER FIVE

SERIES OF SONNETS

  ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪  

     THE ENTIRE SCHOOL had been sent into the Great Hall. Briar was about to search for Livvy to make sure he was all right but noticed Laurel already speaking to him, contently ignoring the look that Draco Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle were sending her as she spoke to her son. Briar stayed next to Fred and George, standing the middle of them, as she saw Remus walk over to Laurel and Livvy, and take hold of Laurel's hand to drag her away, once Remus had hugged Livvy. Remus and Laurel looked at Briar, and she smiled back reassuringly.

     "The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle," said Dumbledore. Briar could feel her stomach dropping with worry for her godfather. "I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the hall and I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately," he paused as he said the last part to Percy. The twins scoffed. "Send word with one of the ghosts."

     Dumbledore went to leave the hall, and said, "Oh, yes, you'll be needing..." He drew out his wand, and the tables were replaced by lines of sleeping bags. "Sleep well."

     "Sleepover!" said Briar, grinning brightly. "Hell yes! We can braid each other's hair, and roast marshmallows, and talk about boys!"

     She and the twins took ownership of the three sleeping bags about a metre away from Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Briar sat on the sleeping bag in between Fred and George's, looking far too cheerful with the situation. Really, Briar thought that her emotions had picked the extremes so that she'd stop worrying about Sirius. He'd be fine. He could hide back in the Room of Requirement, or elsewhere. He could get into Hogsmeade, and hide somewhere until the coast was clear. He'd be fine.

     "Everyone into their sleeping bags! Come on, now, no more talking! Lights out in ten minutes!"

     Briar sighed. "I can't feel like I'm in the sleepover part of a teen muggle movie in ten minutes," she said. "This is a disaster. There's not even a cool song playing in the background. Just your goddamn brother complaining."

     "I don't see what's so special about those muggle movie-things you like so much," said Fred. "They all dress strange and the music is weird."

     "I dress like they do," she said.

     Fred smiled. "Yes, but you suit it."

     Briar frowned. "Well, I know that already."