Year 2 | The Serpentine Tunnels

HARRY, RON, AND Lily walked through the corridors with desperate purpose. They were in pursuit of Lockhart's office so they could tell him everything. He wasn't the smartest or best wizard, but maybe their information would provide him with some advantage.

"She knew something, Harry. She'd found out something about the Chamber of Secrets. That's why she was taken." Rom said. He was distraught. "I mean, she was --is -- a pure-blood. There can't be any other reason."

"C'mon. Let's go see Lockhart. He may be a brainless git, but he's going to try and get into the Chamber. We can tell him what we know..." Harry said.

"Harry. D'you think there's a chance at all she's not, you know--" Harry glanced over and studies Ron's tortured eyes.

"We'll find her, Ron. Ginny's going to be fine." Harry said. Ron nodded, smiled shakily and looked away. As his did, Lilt saw Harry's face change; he looked troubled. Even he did not believe what he just said. But Lily did.

And she would do everything in her power to get Ginny back safely.

They reached Lockhart's office and bursted through the door.

"Professor, we've got some information for you --" Harry began, panting.

Lily was the first to stop dead in her tracks. The three looked around to see Lockhart's office stripped to the shelves. Two large trunks stood open. Lockhart was packing his things in a hurry. He was fleeing.

"Are you going somewhere?" Harry spat.

"Um, well, yes. Urgent call. Unavoidable. Got to go..." Lockhart lied.

"What about my sister?!" Ron shouted angrily.

"Well, as to that -- most unfortunate. No one regrets more than I --" Lockhart began.

"You're the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher! You can't go now!" Ron growled.

"I must say, when I took the job, there was nothing in the job description --"

"You're running away? After all that stuff you did in your books?" Harry interrogated.

"Books can be misleading."

"You wrote them!"

"My dear boy, do use your common sense. My books wouldn't have sold half as well if people didn't think I'd done all those things. No one wants to read about some ugly old Armenian warlock, even if he did save a village from werewolves. He'd look dreadful on the front cover. No dress sense at all..." Lockhart said. Lily was fuming now, but she remained quiet as she gripped her wand behind her back.

"You're a fraud! You've just been taking credit for what a load of other wizards have done!" Harry shouted angrily. Ron spotted Lily gripping her wand and realized what she was going to do, and she was going to join along.