20. The Long Shot

Being on the bad side of the odds was the worst thing imaginable. The people who knew about my deteriorating condition either looked at me as though they were prepared to go down with me when I combusted, or they kept their distance and looked at me as though I was fragile glass.

Okay, so maybe there was one person who was the exception to both looks. Yes, you guessed it—Steve Rogers was the only one who didn't treat me like I was fragile or like he was ready to die should he be near me at the wrong time. If he felt that way—because he had to feel some way about this—he didn't let on. The man had a good way of hiding his emotions when he really didn't want anyone to see. I could learn a thing or two from him.

While Steve's niche was probably putting on a good face, my niche was currently lying to my friends to investigate a possible cure.

There was, surprisingly, a perk to being looked at through other's eyes. I got less attention, which allowed me to avoid most interaction, especially today. After some back and forth messaging with Seth, he agreed to show me his place, the facility he was working in that held the cure to my condition. For his sake and mine, he'd better not be bluffing.

I ran my tongue over my teeth as I waited. I waited for the call, a text, something that would tell me where Seth was. He'd said he had a car coming for me. Whether or not he would be inside it, he didn't tell me.

This could work. This could all end. I looked down at my naked wrist. Since I wanted no one to follow me, I had to keep Tony's bracelet off. Odin forbid I got an episode while I was with Seth and the bracelet let Tony and the others know where I was.

I stood out like a sore on the sidewalk, having business people move around me in haste, some on their cell phones. I rolled my eyes. They could at least have the decency to multitask and watch where they were going. If they weren't careful, they'd get hit by a cab or a car. I'd seen almost-accidents a few times. People could be so stupid and oblivious.

My head turned at the sight of a slowing, sleek black car. By the time the car stopped, I got a message on my phone.

You ready?

Raising my chin, I opened the door, and I was greeted by Seth sitting on the opposite end of the car. I didn't jump in right away; I kept the door open, feeling hesitation. I was putting blind trust and faith into a man I had only met at a party, once.

"You getting in or what?" Seth asked, brown eyes watching me. "You asked for this."

"I did." With a warbling smile, I ducked into the car and shut the door behind me. Seth nodded towards the driver, and the driver picked up on the cue, pulling away into the streets.

"What did I tell you?" Seth teased me.

"Don't act so mighty, we haven't cured me yet," I scolded him. I cleared my throat. "How are you so certain that this cure you've supposedly concocted up for me will work?"

"I'm dedicated to my work, and I'm a perfectionist." Seth kept his eyes out through the car window. "I bust my ass until I get the result I want."

"You said you were S.H.I.E.L.D.?"

"Yes."

"And they let you work outside of their facilities?"

"They're not happy about it, with what I bring home, but at the end of the day, if it's for the greater good, they learn to accept it." He wrapped his hands together and placed them in his lap. "You're making the right decision."